MapInfo Pro Developers User Group

Expand all | Collapse all

Running a Mapbasic program provided by a client to process data. Noticed that my CPU is only running at 16% usage for MapInfo with nothing else running. Is there a way of boosting how much CPU MI can use? Already changed the concurrency level to Full

Tony Soppitt09-04-2018 13:28

• 1.  Running a Mapbasic program provided by a client to process data. Noticed that my CPU is only running at 16% usage for MapInfo with nothing else running. Is there a way of boosting how much CPU MI can use? Already changed the concurrency level to Full

Posted 09-04-2018 13:28

• 2.  RE: Running a Mapbasic program provided by a client to process data. Noticed that my CPU is only running at 16% usage for MapInfo with nothing else running. Is there a way of boosting how much CPU MI can use? Already changed the concurrency level to Full

Posted 09-05-2018 02:48

Hi Tony

MapInfo Pro does support multi-threading for a number of processing function such as split, erase, erase outside, buffering and most of if not all the new raster capabilities.

So if the tool is using any of these, you should see that MapInfo Pro would take advantage of multiple cores.

If the tool is using other features, you will have to build this into the application yourself. Sometimes this can make a difference, sometimes there just is too much overhead to manage the splitting of a task into smaller sub-tasks.

I have over the years made a few examples of applying multi-threading to a MapBasic application. The general idea is to split your job and launch additional instances of MapInfo Pro with a MapBasic application. Once this sub-task has finished, the main task can then merge the result into the main dataset again.