MapInfo Pro

Expand all | Collapse all

Themes, order, group folders, style override lost on moving files and workspace. Files were easily found and are almost all open but essence of workspace are gone; how to retrieve? Workspace resolver appears to have no (or detrimental) impact.

• 1.  Themes, order, group folders, style override lost on moving files and workspace. Files were easily found and are almost all open but essence of workspace are gone; how to retrieve? Workspace resolver appears to have no (or detrimental) impact.

Posted 10-19-2018 07:06

• 2.  RE: Themes, order, group folders, style override lost on moving files and workspace. Files were easily found and are almost all open but essence of workspace are gone; how to retrieve? Workspace resolver appears to have no (or detrimental) impact.

Posted 10-19-2018 05:00

Hi Ross,

You don't specify what version of Pro you are using.

Some versions back we improved the process of opening a workspace where some tables were missing. Pro would basically be able to ignore these and still generate the workspace as it would look without the missing table(s).

This also remove the need for the Workspace Resolver.

In the earlier versions just a single missing table would bring the loading of the workspace to a stop and so not create any of the maps and other windows, layers, themes and style overrides.

The essense of the workspace should still exist in the workspace file - unless you have saved it after opening it with a number of missing files.

The workspace is basically a text file. If the tables have been moved to a new path, it might be worth opening the workspace file in a text editor and replacing the old paths to the tables with the new path. In this way Pro will easily be able to locate the tables and so be able to open the entire workspace.

• 3.  RE: Themes, order, group folders, style override lost on moving files and workspace. Files were easily found and are almost all open but essence of workspace are gone; how to retrieve? Workspace resolver appears to have no (or detrimental) impact.

Posted 10-19-2018 21:06
    The answer is, fyi, 2017 64 bit. Get Outlook for Android

• 4.  RE: Themes, order, group folders, style override lost on moving files and workspace. Files were easily found and are almost all open but essence of workspace are gone; how to retrieve? Workspace resolver appears to have no (or detrimental) impact.

Posted 10-21-2018 06:59
    What errors do you see in the dialog at the end?

• 5.  RE: Themes, order, group folders, style override lost on moving files and workspace. Files were easily found and are almost all open but essence of workspace are gone; how to retrieve? Workspace resolver appears to have no (or detrimental) impact.

Posted 10-21-2018 23:54

Hi Peter

Capture 1 is the error message I get when I attempt to open a workspace – all or most of the files are opened but not as maps

Capture1

By deleting file references in text editor – in several iterations as each time it finds more that are impeding it – and substituting others*– I get error 2 on capture 2

Capture2

I have checked line 315 and neighbours for unbalanced or empty brackets

Ross

*(imperfectly in this example -see error 1 on capture 2, this file since deleted with no gain in eventual outcome)

• 6.  RE: Themes, order, group folders, style override lost on moving files and workspace. Files were easily found and are almost all open but essence of workspace are gone; how to retrieve? Workspace resolver appears to have no (or detrimental) impact.

Posted 10-22-2018 04:34

Hi Ross

I have inserted the images in your post above and removed the post discussing the missing images.

Looking at the errors, the first seem to indicate that you are trying to open one table under two different aliases. That will not work, as the error tells you.

Once you start modifying the workspace manually, the workspace might start raising errors that the error handling mechanism wasn't really build to handle. Especially if you remove lines that open tables. These tables would be needed further down in the workspace script and if they aren't open you will run into all different type of errors.

If you still have all the tables references in the workspace, I would suggest that you go back to the original workspace and either fix the path to the tables in a text editor or fix them by manually pointing Pro to the tables that it can't find during the opening process.