MapInfo Pro

Expand all | Collapse all

Different "behaviour" of the same shapefile in different computers

  • 1.  Different "behaviour" of the same shapefile in different computers

    Posted 30 days ago
    In the last weeks I posted a couple of question regarding problems  I had in shapefiles including Greek characters in MapInfo Pro v16 64bit.

    In fact we have an academic MapInfo Professional 16.0 English Concurrent licence, so we have installations in many almost identical computers (Intel i5 or i7 with similar characheristics and Windows 10 Pro 64bit). Installations are done by the same installation files, operate through the same license server of the same University with the same serial number and access code.

    I have just realised that the same shapefile operates perfectly in one computer and not correctly in many others.

    Any idea?

    ------------------------------
    Milosis Dimitris
    ARISTOTLE UNIVERSITY OF THESSALONIKI
    THESSALONIKI
    ------------------------------


  • 2.  RE: Different "behaviour" of the same shapefile in different computers

    Pitney Bowes
    Posted 23 days ago
    Hello,

    Maybe different machines have different preferences/settings that are used for opening shapefiles with Greek characters.

    Can you try the following:
    1. Try to open the same shapefile on two machines (on one that it works and on one that it does not).
    2. Make sure that MapBasic window is opened. When you open shapefile, the command will be echoed into MapBasic window. Please copy commands in both cases and please send us.
    3. Also send us original shapefile and created TAB files.
    4. This should help us identify the issue.

    You can post data here or send it to me or send it to Tech Support.

    Best regards,
    Andrei

    ------------------------------
    Andrei Veselov
    PITNEY BOWES SOFTWARE, INC
    Troy NY
    ------------------------------



  • 3.  RE: Different "behaviour" of the same shapefile in different computers

    Posted 15 days ago
    I found the solution to the issue of Greek characters and it is good to share it with other users since it is valid for other character sets as well. It is a matter of Regional settings. In Control Panel- Regions - Administrative - Change system locate, you define the language used when displaying text in programs that do not support Unicode.

    I thank the Pitney team for patience and personal mails for helping me. Sorry for being possibly slighly aggressive for finally finding such an obvious solution...

    ------------------------------
    Milosis Dimitris
    ARISTOTLE UNIVERSITY OF THESSALONIKI
    THESSALONIKI
    ------------------------------