MapInfo Pro

Expand all | Collapse all

Georeferencing and contouring a jpeg

• 1.  Georeferencing and contouring a jpeg

Posted 27 days ago
    Edited by Ayman Ibrahim 27 days ago

I need to convert a jpeg into a mapinfo table that has a .map, .dat and a .id files in addition to a .tab file. I managed to open the jpeg and register the jpeg. But that only produces a .tab file. 

I tried using raster contouring under the raster operations in the advanced mapinfo 19 version to turn into a vector. The contouring tool does not recognize the tab file. Could I be mixing the tab file for a DEM in the input field? If so, where can I obtain a .DEM file?

would like help on the contouring process

thnx!

• 2.  RE: Georeferencing and contouring a jpeg

Employee
    Posted 27 days ago
    Hi Ayman,

Contour tool does not support running contour operation on imagery file. That't the reason why tool is not recognizing the tab file since it's associated with imagery file.

Can you provide more information on what you are trying to achieve so that we can help you further.

------------------------------
    Anshul Goel
    Knowledge Community Shared Account
    Shelton CT

• 3.  RE: Georeferencing and contouring a jpeg

Posted 27 days ago
    Hi Anshul...Ultimatly I'm trying to associate a .map, .id and maybe a .dat files to the jpeg. So geocode the pixels to make it importable into a tool we use that recognizes mapinfo files. The tool does not recognize a .tab file by itself.

Ayman Ibrahim

• 4.  RE: Georeferencing and contouring a jpeg

Employee
    Posted 27 days ago
    Hi Ayman,

Based on the details that you have provided my understanding is that you want to convert JPG file to Vector file (Having Tab, .Map, .Id and .Dat file maybe). The same can then be consumed by your tool. As already mentioned contour tool will not work in this scenario since the input data is imagery file.

We have export tool which can create Mapinfo TAB file from imagery file. The output TAB file will contain rows having R,G,B values along with X,Y data.

To open Export Tool, go to Raster Tab->Raster Operations->Export

In the export dialogue under "Export To" option select Mapinfo Tab. Select all other relevant options and run. This will generate Mapinfo TAB file having R,G,B and X,Y data in each row.

Also I am assuming that you already have PNG and JPG driver enabled for Raster processing and you are having Mapinfo Advanced license. Else export tool will not work. Attaching screenshot for reference.

You can give it a try and let us know if it fulfills your requirement. Hope it helps.

Thanks

Anshul Goel
    Shelton CT

• 5.  RE: Georeferencing and contouring a jpeg

Posted 21 days ago
    Edited by Ayman Ibrahim 21 days ago
    Ok. Ensured all above: mapinfo advanced, and raster imagery enabled processing and display. Then tried 2 methods to choose the input file

1. chose the orginal jpeg s input. did not work since the output is not aligned with geo area despite choosing the correct coordinate system.

2. chose the .tab file as input (this is the file I obtained after registering the jpeg and it aligns well geographically). The export did not work either as the reults were way off again

Ayman Ibrahim

• 6.  RE: Georeferencing and contouring a jpeg

Employee
    Posted 20 days ago
    Thanks for the update Ayman.

Will it be possible for you to share the data or provide more information on the same so that we are able to replicate the issue at our end.

One more suggestion which might be helpful is to georeference JPEG file using Warp Tool and generate MRR file for the input JPEG file. Then use the MRR file as input to Export tool. Let me know if it helps.

Anshul Goel
    Shelton CT