MapInfo Pro

Expand all | Collapse all

Updating Points on Map Window after table is updated

• 1.  Updating Points on Map Window after table is updated

Posted 22 days ago

Greetings,
    I have a table of our students, that I've created points and pinned in the map window.  The table is linked from an Access database.  When I add records to the table in Access, the table in MapInfo is updated with the new records, but those newly added students are not pinned on the map.  Can't I refresh the Map Window somehow to have it show the new students pinned on the map? I don't want to have recreate the map window and all of it's layers, every time I need to update the table.

Thanks!

Marty

------------------------------
    Marty Oneill
    LEANDER INDEPENDENT SCHOOL
    Leander TX

• 2.  RE: Updating Points on Map Window after table is updated

Posted 22 days ago
    Hi Marty,

Ctrl+D redraws the active map window.  I had to search for the menu option - it is hidden on the Home tab, under "New Document".  Does that help?  I think this should work if you have opened the Access table directly in MapInfo (i.e. not as a Database Table).

James Nolet
    Dooley Mitchell & Morrison Pty Ltd
    Mentone, VIC, Australia

• 3.  RE: Updating Points on Map Window after table is updated

Posted 21 days ago
    Thank you James for the reply!  I eventually figured out that after I added records to the table in Access, I then needed to go back to MapInfo and "Create Points" again on the table.  This updated the Map window with new data pinned on the map.  I tried your suggestion, but I don't have a Home tab or New Document option. I'm on MapInfo version 15, so maybe it's a version thing. Again, thanks for the reply!  This was my first post ever, so it was nice to have a response.  Take care.

Marty Oneill
    LEANDER INDEPENDENT SCHOOL
    Leander TX

• 4.  RE: Updating Points on Map Window after table is updated

Posted 21 days ago
    Hi Marty,

That's no problem.  I forgot the table you would be dealing with would require a "Create Points" or similar, so am glad you were able to work it out.

James Nolet
    Dooley Mitchell & Morrison Pty Ltd
    Mentone, VIC, Australia

• 5.  RE: Updating Points on Map Window after table is updated

Posted 20 days ago
    Hi Marty,

with an ms access database as the storage backend you can also set this up to be completely dynamic, so that changing coordinates in a table automatically moves the point on the map, and fresh created records automatically show up on the map.
    You would have to connect to your access table via odbc, create a mapcatalog in the access database with the easyloader add-on and make your point table mapable via the Mapinfo menu with X/Y as spatial type.
    With this setting you can also move a point on the map, and the coordinates get automatically updated in your access table, and no need to do a "create points" again.

Cheers
    Stefan