MapInfo Pro

Expand all | Collapse all

Scalebar shifting away from borders

• 1.  Scalebar shifting away from borders

Posted 11 days ago
    Working in Mapinfo 2019 (64-Bit): Release Build 58

Likely this is some setting I've overlooked, but I have a rather vexing problem with my scalebar shifting away from the right and bottom borders of my map when I reposition the map layer, zoom, or generally make any adjustment to the underlying map whatsoever.
    Above is where I am positioning the scalebar initially.
    And this is where it ends up when I reposition the map.

This only seems to happen when the scalebar is positioned against the right or bottom borders of the frame.

Any ideas?

------------------------------
    Jeremiah robinson
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 2.  RE: Scalebar shifting away from borders

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 9 days ago
    Hi Jeremiah,

Please see if you have the "Use Automatic Sizing" and "Add Cartographic scale"checked in the Create Scalebar window. This way the scalebar should not shift even on zooming and panning.

You can also check in the Map Preferences window in the backstage if you have Spherical or Cartesian distance chosen in the Projections tab.

Regards,
    Shweta

Shweta Shukla
    Pitney Bowes Software India
    Noida

• 3.  RE: Scalebar shifting away from borders

Posted 9 days ago
    Thanks for the reply Shweta,

I have tried both with and without "Use Automatic Sizing" and "Add Cartographic scale" active when I create the scalebar. It continues to shift on zooming and panning. See my current settings below:

I will provide a visual of our current projection settings also.

Spherical distance seems innate to this projection.
    I am open to further suggestions.

Thanks again

Jeremiah robinson

• 4.  RE: Scalebar shifting away from borders

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 8 days ago
    If you want to have your scale bar within a map window, maybe you should try to use Map scalebar. It is available on a MAP tab.

Andrei Veselov
    Pitney Bowes Software Inc.
    Troy NY

• 5.  RE: Scalebar shifting away from borders

Posted 8 days ago
    Andrei,

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that is what I am using.  Granted, I am using it within a Layout window. But I activate the map layer and use the 'add to map' dropdown on the Ribbon in the Map tab.

In truth, I would prefer to use the Layout Scalebar, but unfortunately it creates a customframes subfolder for every map we create, which produces an unfortunate amount of clutter when you are mass producing maps. If you know of a way to disable or limit the creation of the subfolders by the layout tool, I would consider it a superior solution.

Thank you for your time,

Jeremiah robinson

• 6.  RE: Scalebar shifting away from borders

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 8 days ago
    Can you try to select bottom right corner as a position for a scalebar position:

Andrei Veselov
    Pitney Bowes Software Inc.
    Troy NY

• 7.  RE: Scalebar shifting away from borders

Posted 8 days ago
      |   view attached
    Andrei,

This was insightful. I can see now that adjustments I am making to the positioning are unanchoring the scalebar from the bottom right of the map. I'll attach a video to demonstrate this.

Is it possible to anchor the scalebar in a position other than the corner of the map?

Jeremiah Robinson

• 8.  RE: Scalebar shifting away from borders

Posted 8 days ago
    Andrei,

I have isolated the difference between the anchored line in the workspace and an "unanchored" position
    !Workspace - Anchored !Workspace - Unanchored
         Position 8 Offset (0.000000, 0.000000) Units "in"       Position Fixed (5.145833, 9.541667) Units "in" 

I am speculating a little here, but I believe the Fixed coordinates fall outside of some allowed parameters within the layout. As such, any manipulation of the map layer is forcing the Fixed position back into those parameters. Position 8 appears to relate to the bottom right corner of the map. I can manually adjust the Offset on Position 8 and it yields an anchored Scalebar at the point of my choosing, which is ideal. I do not see a way to do this in the preferences though. Do you know where I might access the Offset for Position 8? I'm hoping it is not the general offset for all adornments, as that could create issues with other created points.

Jeremiah Robinson

• 9.  RE: Scalebar shifting away from borders

Posted 8 days ago
    Schweta and Andrei,

Thank you for your support. We have determined that by adjusting the offset on adornments, we can utilize the anchor associated with the bottom right positioned Scalebar on the Map tab to accomplish the desired result. We just have to remember not to move the scalebar by hand or all hell breaks loose.

Cheers!

Jeremiah Robinson