MapInfo Pro

Expand all | Collapse all

Line spacing for labels?

• 1.  Line spacing for labels?

Posted 29 days ago
    Hi,
    I'm creating labels on multiple lines by inserting newlines. This is great, but the line spacing is pretty big (not quite doublespaced but not far off) and I'd like to compress. Is there any easy code that achieves this? Feels like a fairly obvious thing to want to do.

thanks
    Martin

(currently on V17.0.4)

------------------------------
    Martin Burroughs
    Oldham Council

• 2.  RE: Line spacing for labels?

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 29 days ago
    Hi Martin,
    What font and font attributes are you using (size, styles, etc.)?  Multi-line labels are drawn with single line spacing which depends on the font's leading, ascent and descent values. We get those values directly from Windows font API and they depend on the font and font size/styles you are using.

You can control line spacing with text objects but not with labels.  If you create the same label as a text object using the same font attributes and with single line spacing does it look the same?

Michele Buselli
    Pitney Bowes Software Inc.

• 3.  RE: Line spacing for labels?

Posted 29 days ago
    Hi Michele,
    8pt bold halo Arial.

I've pasted a sample pic below. I'm stuck with some long labels and as you can see I'm almost having to interleave the lines.
    I've duplicated the Failworth school text in a text box. It's a little closer together, on the surface at least. I have the layout zoomed to 100% so presumably broadly comparable.

I guess it is what it is- although altering spacing would be a useful feature to add!

Are there any typefaces which would allow me to be more compressed?

Martin

Martin Burroughs
    Oldham Council

• 4.  RE: Line spacing for labels?

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 28 days ago
    One thing that might help is to find a font with no descenders or short descenders. Descenders are that part of the font that draws below the baseline like the letter 'g'. One is MS Gothic. Not sure how nice of a map font it is but maybe you could find something nicer.

Michele Buselli
    Pitney Bowes Software Inc.

• 5.  RE: Line spacing for labels?

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 28 days ago
    Arial Narrow is the same basic font as Arial but more compressed horizontally.  The interline spacing is not much different but you can put longer labels in the same display space.
    Here's a 2 line label using Arial.
    ​And then using Arial Narrow.
    As you can see it affects the number of labels displayed in some cases as more fits.

Eric Blasenheim
    Spectrum Spatial Technical Product Manager
    Troy, NY

• 6.  RE: Line spacing for labels?

Posted 28 days ago
    Thanks for the responses. MS Gothic makes a difference- looks a bit dated but I'll call it classic.
    Sidenote: I was fascinated to find out that it's actually Japanese and not Gothic at all...

Martin Burroughs
    Oldham Council