MapInfo Pro

Expand all | Collapse all

Sneak Preview: Layout Improvements coming in MapInfo Pro v2019

• 1.  Sneak Preview: Layout Improvements coming in MapInfo Pro v2019

Posted 10-07-2019 06:02
    Edited by Peter Horsbøll Møller 10-07-2019 07:58

The MapInfo Pro Engineering team has taken a stab at one of the obstacles for users moving from the classic MapInfo Pro, my term for the 32-bit version of MapInfo Pro, to the new 64-bit MapInfo Pro: Line Styles and Hatch Patterns in the Layout!

MapInfo Pro v2019 will support all the existing line and region styles.

This is especially useful for those of you that are drawing custom legends directly in the layout window.

In the image below, you can see how I'm now able to select the region hatch pattern that I want from the Region Style dropdown. In the layout, I have already assigned a "simple railroad" style to my free-form polyline and a Marsh-like style for my free-form polygon.

The work the team did to support all these line and region styles also resulted in another improvement to the layout: All legends are now vectorised and therefore they look crisper.

Earlier we rasterised the legends before inserting them into the layout. This has the side effect that the legend didn't always look as sharp as the elements in the map window.

Below you can see two examples of legends in a layout where the left example is from MapInfo Pro v17.0 and the right is from MapInfo Pro v2019. Especially the thick and more complex line style now looks a lot better.

The same goes for the region styles. The region styles are basically rasters already but you will still be able to see some difference between the old and the new way to render these. If you have tried showing the legends on a dark background, you might have noticed the white border around the legend example. That is also gone now.

We hope you like these improvements. And, this is just one of many other improvements to MapInfo Pro v2019.

We expect to release MapInfo Pro v2019 early-November 2019. Stay tuned for more information!

PS: Just in case you have overlooked some of the small things we did in the patches for MapInfo Pro 17.0. In MapInfo Pro 17.0.2, we reintroduced the Distribute option to the Layout window. You can find it in the Align dropdown on the LAYOUT tab.

------------------------------
    Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Pitney Bowes

• 2.  RE: Sneak Preview: Layout Improvements coming in MapInfo Pro v2019

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 29 days ago
    Edited by Dave Andrews 22 days ago
    As Peter pointed out, all legends are now vectorised and therefore they look crisper.  This means legend output is no longer rasterized and PDF output will look much better with version 2019.  Bitmap pattern fills and custom symbols are still drawn as raster, but True Type Font symbols, all line styles, solid and hatch fills are all drawn as vector. Here's a side by side comparison between PDF created with version 17.0 compared to version 2019.

Michele Buselli
    PITNEY BOWES SOFTWARE, INC