MapInfo Pro

Expand all | Collapse all

Drive Time Questions

• 1.  Drive Time Questions

Posted 01-23-2020 13:39
    1.  Can I do drive times for points in Canada (it let me run 3 times for a Canadian airports but produced 3 boomerangs all the same shape?

2. Can I combine 3 drive time shapes to get one (e.g., 30, 60, 90 minutes creates a 30-minute drive and 2 buffer zones outside that)?  I tried to combine the 3 to get a 90-minute drive time  but got some noise inside the shape (which I could delete)?

3.  Is there a 2-hour limit for all drive times?

Many thanks - great feature.

------------------------------
    Rex Edwards
    CAMPBELL AVIATION GROUP
    Alexandria VA

• 2.  RE: Drive Time Questions

Posted 01-29-2020 02:14
    Hi Rex,

The DriveTime tool in MapInfo Pro is based on the LI API GeoZone. The limitations you see come from the API. You can find more details about the API in the online help.

1. You should be able to do drivetime zones across borders if that's what you are asking. Maybe I don't understand what you are trying to do?

Here's an example where I created a 30, 60 and 90 minutes drivetimes zones from a point near the Danish/German border. The resulting drivetime zones go into Denmark where the point lies but also into the northern part of Germany.

2. That might be a bit tricky to get the boundaries to line up perfectly when combining multiple drivetime zones. I'd recommend creating the specific zone that you need instead of merging the 30, 60 and 90-minute zones.

3. According to the Online Help, the limit is at 2.5 hours:
    Specifies the 'time' in terms of cost units specified in costUnit parameter. This parameter returns a separate travel boundary for each cost specified. The maximum travel boundary in case of time is 2.5 hours. Multiple costs can be specified in comma separated format. Upto 3 cost values can be specified in comma separated format.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Distinguished Engineer
    Pitney Bowes Software & Data