MapInfo Pro

Expand all | Collapse all

Highlights from the MapInfo Pro Customer Support Forum on Jan 29

• 1.  Highlights from the MapInfo Pro Customer Support Forum on Jan 29

Employee
    Posted 01-31-2020 17:16
    Edited by James Stone 01-31-2020 17:32

This week we invited the MapInfo Pro community to join us for an interactive forum to share challenges and questions with some of our most experienced Tech Support team members.  We will post a link for access to the recording next week.

Thanks to Justin Tate, Greg Bachinsky, and David Cheve, with backup from Andrei Veselov, for leading this discussion and sharing your years of wisdom with everyone!

We had over 300 registrations and 200 attendees. The conversation was lively and wide ranging, including some these important topics:

• Working with Layouts in the 64 bit version of MapInfo Pro
    • Geocoding
    • Using the Drive Time Application

We are consolidating the discussions in a document that will be posted here next week.

There were questions about the new SQL interface and the new "Heat Mapper" in the standard version of MapInfo Pro.  Keep your eyes out for additional online events covering these topics in more detail.  Until then, you can follow Peter Moller's articles on the SQL interface hereand the new Heat Mapper is described in this article by Shweta Shukla. 

There will be another Customer Support Forum in late February scheduled at a time more convenient for our customers in the Asia Pacific time zones.  That session will also be recorded and will include short presentations on the new SQL interface and the Heat Mapper.

We'd love to hear your ideas for future Customer Support Forums.  Feel free to add a comment to this post with your suggestions.

Thanks for your participation in this event!

Regards,

------------------------------
    Jim Stone
    Pitney Bowes
    Senior Product Manager, MapInfo Pro
    Reading, MA

• 2.  RE: Highlights from the MapInfo Pro Customer Support Forum on Jan 29

Employee
    Posted 02-04-2020 13:06
    As promised, here's the link to the replay of the Jan 29 Customer Support Forum.  Enjoy!

Jim Stone
    Pitney Bowes
    Reading, MA

• 3.  RE: Highlights from the MapInfo Pro Customer Support Forum on Jan 29

Posted 02-05-2020 09:13
    Edited by Nicholas Evanish 02-05-2020 09:16
    James,

I was in attendance for the webinar.  I had some pros and cons I'd like to share:

Pros:

- Excellent way to get people together that use MapInfo Pro and give interactive examples of how to perform specific functions. In the case of this webinar, it seemed that the routing and the layout window were highly discussed.  

- The ability to ask questions in the chat window was a nice feature

Cons:

- The webinar description was very misleading. "Customer Support Forum" made me feel this was going to be a place where existing customers could air the issues they are having and get a resolution (or at least try to start a path towards a resolution). Instead, I felt like a majority of the hour was spent on completely different topics than the assumed Support Topic and any questions posed in the chat window were asked to be taken offline (and then as of now, writing this post, never addressed).

I think that the concept of these webinars would be great to continue; however, apply a precise description of what topic it is surrounding.  For example, an hour one week devoted to "SQL querying", or "object manipulation", or whatever is deemed a popular topic to review with users. The topic of the webinar would not just be "Customer Support," but rather "How to Manipulate Objects" or "Enhance your SQL Queries."

I hope this feedback helps, and I look forward to hearing from you reading my questions that I asked last week in the webinar.

Thank you.  

Nicholas Evanish
    Senior Programmer Analyst

• 4.  RE: Highlights from the MapInfo Pro Customer Support Forum on Jan 29

Employee
    Posted 02-05-2020 12:24
    Hi Nicholas,
    Thanks for your feedback, you raise many good points!

We were very pleased with the turnout.  The intent was to do exactly what you described, but we were concerned that attendees might not participate much, as happens in many webinars.  That's why we prepared a few topics to "prime the pump."  The chat window was a complete surprise and we'll use it better in the next one of these.

We will be posting the responses to the chat window questions very soon.  It's taken awhile to consolidate them into a manageable form.

The SQL topic was not handled well by us.  We were prepared to answer questions on it, but what people seemed to want was an overview of how it works, which we should have done.  We've already done that in previous webinars, but we'll definitely do it in the next one.

Be sure to follow up with tech support if you have any issues!  They are very good and ready to help.

Regards,

Jim Stone
    Pitney Bowes
    Reading, MA

• 5.  RE: Highlights from the MapInfo Pro Customer Support Forum on Jan 29

Posted 02-07-2020 04:12
    You raise some fair points, Nicholas.

At the moment you can learn about the SQL improvements in MapInfo Pro v2019 through articles on the Community. We tag these with SQL and Series. You can use this search to find them: SQL Articles.

At the moment I'm adding a new article every week and I still have quite a few to go. So please stay tuned.

But yes, SQL Improvements would be a great theme for a webinar. You can find recordings from earlier webinars using this link: Webinars. Maybe you have already seen these?

Thanks for sharing your feedback

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Distinguished Engineer
    Pitney Bowes Software & Data

• 6.  RE: Highlights from the MapInfo Pro Customer Support Forum on Jan 29

Posted 02-05-2020 13:41
    Would like to express my appreciation for the webinar which I just watched and hope more are to come.  I'm very pleased with the product upgrade and have had several issues quickly resolved through this forum.  Thanks again.

Rex Edwards
    CAMPBELL AVIATION GROUP
    Alexandria VA

• 7.  RE: Highlights from the MapInfo Pro Customer Support Forum on Jan 29

Employee
    Posted 02-11-2020 11:48
    Edited by Shweta Shukla 02-11-2020 11:52
    The Customer Support Forum had a question on how to create and share  Layout Templates. I have tried explaining it in the article - Link . Hope it helps.

Regards,
    Shweta

Shweta Shukla
    Pitney Bowes Software India
    Noida