MapInfo Pro

Visualising Traffic in MapInfo Pro

• 1.  Visualising Traffic in MapInfo Pro

Posted 08-27-2020 08:40

Two weeks ago we did the webinar "Analyzing Streets, Traffic, and Drivetimes in MapInfo Pro" where we looked at how to take advantage of our Street and Traffic data products in MapInfo Pro. If you didn't attend the live webinar, you can still watch the recording via the link above.

In this article, I want to show how you can use the probe count, the amount of traffic, to estimate where to locate your new store or petrol station. I will visualize the amount of traffic on the map to get an idea of around which potential locations, I will have the highest amount of traffic.

Precisely StreetPro Traffic

The Precisely StreetPro Traffic dataset is part of our Streets product family.

StreetPro Traffic holds provides insight into monthly relative traffic levels across the entire network. It uses floating car data and provides as monthly totals split into weekday and weekend counts per hour. It also provides a yearly average split into weekday and weekend counts per hour.

The dataset is split into 13 tables, one for each month of the year, and one for the yearly average.

This can give you insights into the relative amount of traffic on the specific road segments across the hours of the day.

Visualizing Traffic levels

I will use the yearly average to show how you can gain insights from the probe counts/traffic levels using the StreetPro Traffic dataset. I have opened the StreetPro Traffic table into a map with StreetPro Classic and used the Info tool to inspect a road segment near one of my potential locations, the red pinpoints.

In the Info window on the left, you can see some of the attributes that are included in the StreetPro Traffic dataset. It is a few basic attributes about the road segment, such as the country, road name, and region, a month and a year which tells you when the traffic count is from (Month 0 means it is the average for the entire year, and finally the probe counts divided into hourly buckets for weekdays (wd) and weekend (we). 

You can use the Info tool to inspect all the road segments but you will quickly lose the overview. Let us show the values on the map instead.

You can use a thematic range map to color code the road segments by the traffic count.

I select the "Ranges" thematic and select the standard "Line Ranges, Solid Red, Grey".

I select the table with my StreetPro Traffic data and the column holding the time interval, in my case from 7 to 9 in the morning, and finally, I modify the styles to use different colors and some thicker lines.

The result looks like this in my map window. The darker purple the road, the more traffic.

Via the thematic bins in the Explorer window, I can focus on specific road segments that have the highest amount of traffic. I do this by making the other bins not visible on the map. This makes it easier to identify the roads of interest.

I can also very easily change the thematic to use a different time interval by switching to a different column in the Field dropdown on the Theme tab. Notice that the intervals also may change when you change the column of your thematic map. If you want the intervals to be static, you should change the Method to Custom and specify the intervals you want to use across the day.

If you want to compare the amount of traffic between two times of the day, you can clone your map window, and change the thematic layer to show two different hours of the day.

In the examples above, I have used a single hour of the day at a time. You can of course summarize the number from multiple hours to get an understanding of the total amount of probe counts in the morning hours, mid-day, and in the afternoon. Or you can create an average across the day by summarizing all the hours and dividing this with the number of hours you are interested in.

This was a few ways that you use to visualize the data from the StreetPro Traffic dataset. If you have any questions or ideas you want to share, please use the comments below. 

Next time we will calculate the traffic around our locations of interest and visualize the result on our map. Stay tuned!

------------------------------
    Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data
    ------------------------------