MapInfo Pro

Expand all | Collapse all

WMS maps from Web and in MapInfo

• 1.  WMS maps from Web and in MapInfo

Posted 09-19-2019 04:26

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place for this but I have a question about WMS servers.

Why do maps such as Open Street Map and this Queensland Topographic Map (http://qtopo.dnrm.qld.gov.au/Mobile/ ) look much better through the web than in MapInfo?

Thanks,

Rajiv

------------------------------
    Rajiv Mahendran

• 2.  RE: WMS maps from Web and in MapInfo

Posted 09-19-2019 06:55
    It's because the web applications are limited to a given set of zoom levels that match the resolution of the tiles from the tile servers.

MapInfo Pro, on the other hand, lets you zoom in and out as you like.

If you want to get a more crisp result from the tile server, use Zoom to Nearest Tile Server Level from the context menu in the map window.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Pitney Bowes

• 3.  RE: WMS maps from Web and in MapInfo

Posted 09-19-2019 12:04
    PS: You wrote WMS in the title of your post but I'm assuming you meant Tile Servers, right?

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Pitney Bowes

• 4.  RE: WMS maps from Web and in MapInfo

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 09-20-2019 07:25
    Rajiv:
    Go to the backstage, Options., Web Services, WMS tab and see if changing the GetMap Pixl limits helps.  By default its 2048 x2018 pixels.

WMS GetMap Pixel Limits
    The GetMap Pixel Limits option represents the maximum number of pixels (in width/height) that a map request is limited to. The GetMap request is designed to retrieve the highest resolution map image as is necessary to render the image on the screen, for a printer, or for an export file. This option prevents the request from going higher than the specified values. Different servers have different limits, so you can set the limit that works best for your environment.

Note: You can set per-server defaults for GetMap Pixel Limits in the WFS Server Information dialog box.
    Unfortunately, servers do not report their limits to us, so if the GetMap request fails, it means that you have entered a value that is too large. Typically, large GetMap requests occur when you are printing or exporting windows containing WMS images. This happens because printing and exporting occurs at larger sizes and/or higher resolutions than on-screen display requires.

Note: You can also use this option to shorten the WMS map retrieval time, but remember that the resulting image will display at a lower resolution.
    Max Width

Max Width specifies the maximum number of pixels for a GetMap request in the X direction.

Max Height

Max Height specifies the maximum number of pixels for a GetMap request in the Y direction.

-Bill

Bill Wemple
    Principal QA Engineer
    Pitney Bowes
    Troy, NY

• 5.  RE: WMS maps from Web and in MapInfo

Posted 09-22-2019 22:15
    Hi Bill,

I have changed my settings to 3000 x 3000 pixels but can't see any difference.

Could the issue be that I'm looking at the Open street map.org  https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=11/-37.8016/144.9969  and the WMS server is provided by Terrestris at a different quality?

Rajiv

Rajiv Mahendran
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 6.  RE: WMS maps from Web and in MapInfo

Posted 09-22-2019 20:26

Hi Peter,

That is interesting to know, but I when using Open Street Map the option to zoom to nearest tile server is greyed out.

Rajiv Mahendran
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 7.  RE: WMS maps from Web and in MapInfo

Posted 09-23-2019 05:57
    OK, I was a bit confused by your title and the reference to OSM.

I thought you were accessing an OSM Tile Server which is the typical way to get OSM data into clients.

If you are accessing it through a WMS server, you can't use this option.

Have you the option to use a Tile Server instead? They are typically faster than a WMS Server.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Pitney Bowes