MapInfo Pro

Expand all | Collapse all

Editing table Columns

• 1.  Editing table Columns

Posted 20 days ago
    ​Hi,

I have been asked to send data on to a third party so I need to edit a column so it is not shown within the table. However after editing the table in table browser window I then re-open the browser window and only the column headings are displayed - all other information is deleted. Therefore my question is: Is there any way to edit the table to delete a certain column, then re-save the table and for it to be opened up by the third party so this column I deleted was excluded?

Thanks

Richard

------------------------------
    Richard Sherman
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 2.  RE: Editing table Columns

Posted 20 days ago

Hello Richard,

It's important to understand that removing fields from a TAB file set is a live operation. You don't "Save" or "Save As" afterwards. So, the important thing to do first in make a copy of you table so you don't damage your original.

Go to the Table ribbon and under the Table button and chose Modify Structure. Simply select the field you want to remove and press Remove Field.

After deleting fields or rows, it's good practice to pack the table to recoup any empty space which bloats the file set. Advanced Pack is under the same Table button.

Regards,

Warren Vick

• 3.  RE: Editing table Columns

Posted 20 days ago
    Edited by Richard Sherman 20 days ago
    ​Hi Warren,

Many thanks for your reply - that was very helpful.

Kind regards
    Richard

Richard Sherman
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 4.  RE: Editing table Columns

Posted 19 days ago

Hello Richard,

Removing fields from the table does not damage any of the map objects so what you see in a map windows should be identical to the original. It's just that there is less attribute data attached to those map objects.

If this is not the case, go back to your original table and make sure it's mappable, then make a copy (best to do a Save As), Close All, Open the copy, Modify Table, Close All and finally re-open the copy to check.

Regards,

Warren Vick