I have a problem when trying to edit a table in Mapinfo Pro 17.0.3 called TPO zones – Individual type.
Here's the flow…
I then get a message saying 'cannot access file TPO zones – Individual type.DAT for writing.Please be sure thatv this file is not open in another application'. I can also get a message saying get a message saying 'cannot access file TPO zones – Individual type.MAP for writing. Please be sure that this file is not open in another application'.If I select Cancel on that message I get another one saying'cannot access TPO zones – Individual type.DAT. Cannot save edits now. Someone else is using this table, or table is read only'.I've found that if I log off my network session, log back in again and go through the same process I can then edit and save. However after a while I find that it stops being able to save changes and the original error re-occurs.
I've found that I can take a copy of the original (saved to a different directory), edit the copy and successfully save the changes. But if I then if I open that copy in MI Pro and try to do a Save As (overwriting the original) I get the same 'cannot access file' errors. But I've found that if I rename the copy (to the name of the original) and then manual copy/paste the files using Windows Explorer, then that works.It's all a bit of a mess.
Also note that…
Why is this table giving me such problems. Is it a Windows or a Mapinfo thing?
I suppose it's possible that our IT service providers have done so, but I wouldn't know. To be honest it going to be near impossible to find out.
But why does this happen on this one table? Why not on everything else on that directory?
Thanks for that, John.
Other tables are being edited over the network to the server.
Unfortunately I have no control over anti-virus software settings.
I took the matter through PB Support before raising it here, but I didn't get anywhere with that.
Thanks for that, Boris.
We have around 1000 tables linked to SSA. This appears to be the only one to experience these problems.
Potentially, I have good news.
I've set that table in Spatial Manager to read only=true and volatile=true.
I then carried out a few tests on editing in MIPro. On all occasions it did not generate the same locked file error as before.
I'm giving this a cautious thumbs up for now. There was always a slightly intermittent nature to the issue anyway, so let's see how it goes. But it's certainly looking good so far.
Thanks for that, Susan.
"For any table that you intend to change the structure volatile needs to be set to 'True' else it would throw up an error": Yes, but I wasn't changing the structure. Just adding/deleting objects and editing existing attributes/objects.
But, yes, it's looking better with volatile set to true.
In Windows Explorer the .tab file is not set to Read Only.
In Spatial Manager the Read-Only setting is set to False...
Also, I done the following:
1, Via MI Pro I saved table to a different location
2, Saved with a different name "TestTPOIndyEditable"
3, Uploaded to Spectrum
4, Added to SSA map config
5, Opened map config in SSA to see the layer showing – all good
6, Opened table in MI Pro and made some edits (add polygon, edit attributes on existing object)
7, Saved. It saved OK.
8, Check SSA, changes came through to SSA – all good
9, Repeated step 6, but this time I experienced the same as the original problem ('cannot access file TestTPOIndyEditable.DAT for writing. Please be sure that this file is not open in another application').