MapInfo Pro

Expand all | Collapse all

Pre-populating (using predefined) attribute data in MapInfo tables

• 1.  Pre-populating (using predefined) attribute data in MapInfo tables

Posted 9 days ago
    Hello all,
    I've previously posted this in the "Pitney Bowes Software & Data Product Ideas" group but with the Pitney Bowes Community changes, I am reposting it here (so apologies if it is doubling up!).

Hello,
    Would it be possible to allow pre-population of attribute data (ie. using predefined attribute data) in MapInfo Pro tables, please?

This would be very useful for GIS use for asset data capture/management where multiple tables use the same attribute data in the same fields (ie. stormwater drainage, roads and landscaping for newly-built residential developments). Such an ability would save a lot of 'copying and pasting' of data from one table to another, whether it be in the same or different workspaces.

See the attached file (screen dump from Excel)  for what I'm referring to. A workmate who is familiar with ESRI products says this can be done in ArcGIS, and has been able to get something similar done in QGIS.
    Excel screen dump

The idea is that regularly-used attributes can be 'memorised' by MapInfo Pro, so that I can start typing the first few letters for an attribute, and then the required data appears once enough text has been entered to select an individual attribute.

For example, in the attached MapInfo Pro (v17.0.1) screen dump for landscaping, I could start typing 'clar' for the tree 'Common name' and then 'Claret Ash' appears, rather than having to 'copy and paste' the 'Claret Ash' text for all the necessary rows.
    MapInfo screen dump

The third screen-dump (from QGIS) will hopefully given an idea of how it is done in this software, with the ability to load data from a CSV file and using predefined items.
    I4PXrFwVSmuAzQBX26Sc_QGIS_ScreenDump.jpg

Thanks,
    John

------------------------------
    John Cleverdon
    Survey - Draftsman
    Watsons Pty Ltd
    Mornington, Victoria, Australia

• 2.  RE: Pre-populating (using predefined) attribute data in MapInfo tables

Community Manager
    Posted 9 days ago
    Hi John,

Thank you for posting! Right now, the Software Ideas community is still a separate entity from this community. If you've posted this idea in the Software Ideas community, could you pull up a link to it and put it in a reply? That way anyone who likes this idea can hop over to that site and show their support for the idea.

Thank you again.

Sydney Lawton
    Community Manager

• 3.  RE: Pre-populating (using predefined) attribute data in MapInfo tables

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 8 days ago
    Found it in Idea's Portal, here is the link:
    https://ideas.pitneybowes.com/ideas/MIPRO-I-1262

Hakan Karlsson
    Presales, Pitney Bowes Sweden

• 4.  RE: Pre-populating (using predefined) attribute data in MapInfo tables

Posted 5 days ago
    And there is another similar idea here for creating forms:
    https://ideas.pitneybowes.com/ideas/MIPRO-I-865

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Pitney Bowes

• 5.  RE: Pre-populating (using predefined) attribute data in MapInfo tables

Posted 2 days ago
    Hello,
    A further thought on this ... one of my workmates who is also using MapInfo has started 'playing around' in MapBasic to see if he can work out a solution that way.
    I'm quite rusty in MapBasic as I haven't used it since uni (20 years ago), but would be willing to refresh myself in it, if it were of use for preconfigured dropdown menus or similar, as noted in the 'Data Entry Forms for MapInfo' posting that you gave the link to, Peter.

Regards,
    John

John Cleverdon
    Cartographic Assistant
    John Cleverdon
    Mornington, Victoria

• 6.  RE: Pre-populating (using predefined) attribute data in MapInfo tables

Posted 2 days ago
    Hi John

If you are looking for a way to add capabilities to the existing windows, Info and Browser, MapBasic is unfortunately not the answer.

You would to use a Windows development language like C#, VB.NET or C++.

With MapBasic you can design your own Data Entry dialog that would let the user pick values from a dropdown, select a date or other predefined functions that would make sense to use when updating records.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Pitney Bowes