Spectrum Spatial (SSA/LIM)

Expand all | Collapse all

Geopackage Information

• 1.  Geopackage Information

Posted 27 days ago
    Just looking if anyone is using geopackages with Spectrum spatial.
    I have been attempting to get it working but am having some issues.
    I can connect to the gpkg, and the driver is working ok say's connected ok, but when I try to view or create a table it throws a blank error and fails, I can see the table, I can see the fields in the table it shows them ok but will not show the data.
    Using 12.2 at present.
    Appreciate any advice or assistance thanks.

------------------------------
    Russell Ferguson
    GIS and IS Coordinator
    Ararat Rural City Council
    Ararat VIC

• 2.  RE: Geopackage Information

Posted 24 days ago
    Hi Russell,

I just tested it in Spectrum Spatial 2019.1 (SO9) and it works ok for me.

How are you connecting to the GPKG? I used a file system connection (the same one I use for .TAB) and opened the .GPKG file directly.

Duri Bradshaw
    Spatial IT Consultant
    Insight GIS

• 3.  RE: Geopackage Information

Posted 23 days ago
    Thank you for the reply, I had not tried a file connection, but I set up a java connection and have now got it working.
    Does SSA follow the settings from the geopackage for layer styles and visibility. It seemed like it didn't for me just wondering if yours did.
    I have not done a lot with geopackages just trying to see what works and what doesn't.
    It seems like mapinfo doesn't follow the layer settings either unless I have got something wrong.

Russell Ferguson
    GIS and IS Coordinator
    Ararat VIC

• 4.  RE: Geopackage Information

Posted 23 days ago
    Edited by Duri Bradshaw 23 days ago
    I think you will find most GIS packages do styling in a completely different way so is quite rare that styles will translate from one vendor format to another.

I know that if you save a Native TAB to GPKG in MapInfo the DefaultStyles and DefaultThemes will be transferred to the new .TAB that is associated with the GPKG but the style is not stored in the GPKG itself, my understanding is the Geopackage spec does not include any styling.

So in Spectrum it may be possible to open the .TAB and inherit the DefaultStyle or DefaultThemes but if I was you I would open the GoePackage in MapInfo, apply a style override or theme and user the MapUploader to upload your map to Spectrum as this will give you control over style as well as zoom layering and labelling.

Duri Bradshaw
    Spatial IT Consultant
    Insight GIS

• 5.  RE: Geopackage Information

Posted 23 days ago
    Thanks once again Duri, that's pretty much what I was thinking.
    I thought I better ask before I get too deep into it,
    I am using a sqlite database that the geopackage is stored in. I have been using QGIS 3.xx.x for the project, and reads the geopackage fine, and if I change styles or layer visibility, it will ask if I want to write the changes to the database, if I say yes it seems to work ok.

I was hoping that mapinfo and spectrum could do the same thing, hahaha, but that would make it to damn easy wouldn't it.
    Thanks again.

Russell Ferguson
    GIS and IS Coordinator
    Ararat VIC