Confirm

Expand all | Collapse all

Street Manager Update (UK)

• 1.  Street Manager Update (UK)

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 04-09-2018 12:04

Street Manager Update (UK)

Pitney Bowes attended a session with the DfT and other EToN Developer Group members on the 29th March to discuss the current status of the Street Manager project.

The “Alpha” phase of the project is now complete and a working prototype showing Forward Planning and Granting a Permit has been demonstrated to selected stakeholders. We were only shown a PowerPoint of this during the meeting. The DfT stated that they were awaiting budget approval before proceeding to the next “Beta” phase.

The current proposed timescales are to have a “private” beta early in 2019 with a public beta at the end of 2019. The private beta will be between a small group of authorities / utilities but the idea is that Street Manager would replace EToN for those participants. The public beta will be available to everyone and transition arrangements will apply regarding moving off EToN (a further workshop is planned to discuss transition).

At the moment it is still not clear what functionality will be included in the first release. The DfT clearly stated that the scope would be limited to Street Works, but it is possible that not all aspects of a Street Works system will be included, such as overrun charging, inspection sampling, etc. The DfT stated it will be up to the user community to dictate how functionality is prioritised for delivery. It was reiterated that Application Program Interfaces (APIs) will be provided to allow systems like Confirm to interface with Street Manager, e.g. for noticing / permitting of own works, mobile inspections, etc.

However, the DfT made it very clear that, although they were happy to keep developers informed on the progress of the project, they would not be directly seeking our input regarding system functionality or interfacing requirements. The DfT are expecting the end users (authorities and utilities) to fully specify all requirements and ensure for themselves that any gaps in functionality are covered by their systems.

This does not mean that developers cannot participate in the process, but we will only be able to do so if we are invited to relevant workshops and requirements gathering sessions by our customers – the DfT will not invite us themselves.

We are obviously keen to participate in these sessions to ensure that Street Manager fully addresses your needs, or where it doesn’t to ensure that the system is designed in such a way that we are able to effectively fill in any gaps.

We would therefore be grateful if you could keep us informed of any Street Manager sessions that your organisation is involved in and consider inviting us to attend and represent your interests if appropriate. Please email either John.Gomersall@pb.com or Robert.Gan@pb.com as soon as you become aware of any sessions that you believe may be relevant.

• 2.  RE: Street Manager Update (UK)

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 04-12-2019 13:29
    Hi Everyone, another brief update on Street Manager.

We now have access to the API sandbox (test area) and have been able to successfully send Permit Applications into Street Manager from Confirm.  The Street Manager team have also provided a mechanism that allows us to pull updates back from Street Manager and load them into Confirm.  The ultimate goal here is that we will be able to replicate all the data that appears in Street Manager in Confirm so that you can continue to use Confirm to fill any gaps in the functionality that Street Manager provides.

We are currently aiming to build the interface to Street Manager as a stand alone "adapter" that will allow you to take new versions of the adapter as Street Manager evolves without having to upgrade your whole Confirm system.

I have another meeting with the DfT on the 23rd April where we will be discussing a bit more detail like field mapping and how certain processes, like inspection of legacy works, will function.

We are hoping to do a quick demo of the interface in the Birmingham customer day on the 2nd May and can hopefully answer further questions then.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions in the meantime.

------------------------------
    John Gomersall

• 3.  RE: Street Manager Update (UK)

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 07-10-2019 06:46

Hi everyone,

Please find below update on Street Manager interface with Confirm:

We are working on interfacing the Street Manager API with Confirm. In the current phase, we have prioritized the following two use cases:

1. Ensuring that self-promoted works (for road purposes) are automatically transmitted to Street Manager as per our existing automatic Street Works noticing processes.
    2. Pulling back other Utility works (Submitted/Planned , Work Start and Work Stop) from Street Manager to support mobile inspections using ConfirmConnect. As we move forward, we will support submitting the results of inspections to Street Manager.

From the deployment perspective, we are working towards an end of August timeline to provide the above functionality via a Street Manager adapter to clients participating in beta program, which can be upgraded without the need to upgrade Confirm. This new adapter will take charge of Street Works Transfer Agent as well. For now, this may be deployed as a windows schedule task, and will be decoupled from the Confirm Task Processor. This means it will still work at scheduled intervals but will not available via the Confirm Scheduled Tasks screen.

Our focus thus far has been to ensure Confirm applications like ConfirmWorkzone and ConfirmConnect, which have inbuilt automation for creating and/or progressing works, are still relevant while Street Works co-ordination actions (like Grants) can be managed from within the Street Manager interface.

However, based our recent discussions with some of our clients, it looks like our Authority clients are interested in like for like functionality in Confirm via API integration with Street Manager. It will be helpful to know your preferences to adjust our course of action accordingly.

Regards,
    Himanshu Jain

Himanshu Jain
    Product Owner
    Pitney Bowes

• 4.  RE: Street Manager Update (UK)

Posted 07-11-2019 09:56
    Hi Himanshu,

I would say Dorset are more in accord with your original focus, that is:
    We are intending to monitor our street works register from Street Manager but would like to take advantage of any automated processes that we still can through Workzone and Connect and other job updates - as well as Connect inspections of course.
    We're intending to move to permitting at the end of the year however so the impact of this on our automated noticing is not yet known and could change our perspective slightly. We are not intending to adopt Street Manager until after we have established permitting.
    I'm not sure what you mean by the Window scheduled task. Does this mean street works files will no longer be held in the database but in some third location?
    Thanks very much for the update - very welcome news.

Kind regards
    Lesley
    Dorset Council

Lesley Cocker
    Dorset County Council
    CHRISTCHURCH

• 5.  RE: Street Manager Update (UK)

Posted 07-12-2019 04:16
    Hi Himanshu

Many thanks for the update, we at Leicestershire would prefer the like for like option as we have worked hard on dashboards etc to aid our day to day work-loading.  Our network management team would prefer to see all their information within the Confirm environment. where they can split up the hundreds of applications that they have to process in the most appropriate fashion.

Many thanks
    Nicki Cozens

Environment & Transport
    Leicestershire County Council

Nicki Cozens
    Highways Support Development Manager
    Leicestershire County Council
    Leicester

• 6.  RE: Street Manager Update (UK)

Posted 07-22-2019 04:57
    Edited by Mary-Ann Cuzner 07-22-2019 04:59

Hi Himanshu,

At Southampton we would prefer to be able to continue to manage permit applications in Confirm on a like for like basis. I would echo Nicki's comment, we have also invested a lot of time in developing dashboards and reports in Confirm to support our permit processes. This functionality will not be part of the MVP for Street Manager. 

We are participating in the private beta testing of Street Manager and our findings so far are, with the functionality currently available in Street Manager, it takes on average 30% more time to process an application in Street Manager than in Confirm. Without an increase to permit fees I am unsure as to how we will fund the additional resources required to manage permits through Street Manager.

Below are some of the comments from our Permit Officers and Co-ordinators testing Street Manager.

Map mechanics very frustrating. Once you go to map you have to click on the permit again to open it or else when you click 'back' you go all the way back to the home screen. Constantly opening and closing tabs.

Map opening and closing of new tabs become very tedious and frustrating.

The workflow is disjointed and feels disconnected.  No natural flow, just a lot of looking around. "

Find change request" - I have been unable to find a section on the 'Permit applications dashboard' for change requests.   I found the permit I am using for this example under 'Granted not started' but that's because I know the permit is there, not because the system alerts me a change request has been submitted. When I select the correct permit, I have to select the permit link a second time and scroll to the bottom of page 2, select the permit link again (for a 3rd time) before I can see what has changed. Too many links to click, too many pages to scroll through before I can review what has changed. Change information should be more prominently displayed.

It is great that you are developing the API for our own internal works promoters and for our Inspectors via Connect and we look forward to testing them as soon as they are available. We also desperately need your development time to provide an API for the Permit Approval and Network Management functionality.

Many Thanks

Mary-Ann Cuzner

Street Works Manager
    Southampton Highway Partnership

Mary-Ann Cuzner
    Street Works Manager
    Southampton HSP
    Southampton

• 7.  RE: Street Manager Update (UK)

Posted 07-22-2019 06:35
    Humanshu, hi

I would echo Mar-Ann's comments about the API for the permit / streetworks module. Although Hants CC has not been involved in the testing of SM yet, feedback from others confirms that granting permits and managing streetworks through the Confirm module is going to be the only practical way forward. I really do not want to have our staff consulting two systems to be able to grant and manage permits. I would strongly urge you to develop the API for the Streetworks / permitting module so that we can avoid the additional workload of having to check multiple databases.

thanks
    Ian

Ian Ackerman
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 8.  RE: Street Manager Update (UK)

Posted 07-23-2019 04:47
    Himanshu,

At Hertfordshire ​we are also concerned as the DFT are communicating that current systems can be used after SM goes live, but the current API work as you have described will not allow a like for like operation. I echo the concerns of the other authorities as we also wish to continue using Confirm, which brings us several advantages to how the team can organize and filter their work.

Our pilot testing shows that the time taken to process applications and the approval of permits is 50% greater compared to the current process.
    As we have over 90,000 permits every year, the impact to us is potentially huge.
    We can mitigate a number of business change impacts by continuing to use Confirm.

It should be noted that we will have to use Confirm for a variety of processes that will not form part of the MVP of Street Manager.

At the weekend, the DFT said that they are considering a switch to street manager in January instead of March. We would ask Pitney Bowes to deliver the necessary work to allow us to use Confirm linking to street manager with a full API. We would also ask for a clearly vocalized delivery date so that we can plan for testing.

We are happy to work with yourselves and with other councils to understand and mitigate the effect of street manager more.

regards,

Chris Faires
    Technology Manager, Highways
    Hertfordshire County Council

Christopher Faires
    Hertford

• 9.  RE: Street Manager Update (UK)

Posted 07-25-2019 12:17
    Edited by Lesley Cocker 07-25-2019 12:22

Hi Himanshu and John,
    We're not involved with the Beta testing in Dorset. Reading Chris's and Mary-Ann's reports which we have now considered I can confirm that we are happy to fall in with others and go for total API approach. We've got a lot of dashboards set up so we're glad to retain those anyway.

We've been looking at our own implementation timeline for Street Manager, and we have a number of points which we would be glad if you  were able to comment on.

Date of implementation: we'd be glad to defer Street Manager adoption until latest possible date and I believe that was the consensus at the local HAUC meeting attended by our Traffic Team. Therefore we will be sending our consultation form to DfT opting for 31st March implementation. Hopefully that will be our choice.  However will this cause issues at PB's end if every one of your customers switches on the same exact date? How soon do we need to verify a date with Pitney Bowes so that we're booked in for the switch?
    The consultation also asks if we would rather do all-at-once or else a phased implementation and we would tend to opt for all-at-once. Does PB agree with that?
    To what extent do we need to engage with DfT and to what extent does PB cover this with regard to the following:
    API access - do we need to request one or more Dorset-dedicated URLs and supply these to PB?
    Do we need to list each of our street works users and register them with DfT so that their transactions will be recognised as individual users and again give this info to PB?
    I have to admit I have not logged on to Slack for some time, so apologies if all these queries are addressed there.
    Many thanks
    Lesley

P.S. I am of course Dorset Council, DORCHESTER

Lesley Cocker
    Dorset County Council
    CHRISTCHURCH

• 10.  RE: Street Manager Update (UK)

Posted 07-26-2019 03:15
    Buckinghamshire County Council have not been involved in the testing of Street Manager. We have received feedback from others stating that granting permits and managing streetworks through the Confirm module is the best solution, as SM is cumbersome and adds unwanted additional time to the process. We do not want to have to use two systems to manage our permits. We also happen to be going Unitary on the 1st of April, would appreciate any hints and tips from other Confirm users who have gone through this change. Gazetteer or SW related.

Regards

Elayne
    Asset Data Manager
    Transport for Buckinghamshire

Elayne Swift
    Buckinghamshire County Council
    Aylesbury

• 11.  RE: Street Manager Update (UK)

Posted 07-29-2019 04:20
    Himanshu
    We are becoming part of the private beta testing shortly to experience the street manager for ourselves and potentially would look to manage granting permits through Street Manager but as the systems manager I would still like to use Confirm like for like as it has much more to offer with confirmconnect, inspections, statements for charging, reports etc.
    We are keen to use the Street Manager adapter as soon as its available.
    Thank you

Claire Hunt
    North Lincolnshire Council
    Scunthorpe

• 12.  RE: Street Manager Update (UK)

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 07-29-2019 04:48
    Edited by Himanshu Jain 07-29-2019 04:48

Hi all,

Thank you for sharing your preference. It seems that most of our local authority clients prefer a like for like offering in Confirm via Street Manager API. We are working internally to outline what will it take to get this done.

For the time being, as I updated earlier, we will be providing following use cases via Street Manager agent to clients who are participating in beta testing with Street Manager and may want to use Confirm interface.

1. Ensuring that self-promoted works (for road purposes) are automatically transmitted to Street Manager as per our existing automatic Street Works noticing processes.
    2. Pulling back other Utility works (Submitted/Planned , Work Start and Work Stop) from Street Manager to support mobile inspections using ConfirmConnect. As we move forward, we will support submitting the results of inspections to Street Manager.

The deployment timelines remain end of August for above mentioned use cases.

We have found some technical gaps between Confirm interface (based on EToN) and Street Manager API. The corresponding queries are being raised with DFT. At the time of making above functionality available, we will be publishing a document to outline what workflows are currently supported and the assumptions made at that time.

Please keep posting your thoughts.

regards,
    Himanshu

Himanshu Jain
    Product Owner
    Confirm

• 13.  RE: Street Manager Update (UK)

Posted 07-30-2019 03:13
    Thanks Himanshu.

We welcome you looking at providing a like-for-like functionality via the API and are happy to assist testing if that would help.

Regards

Chris​

Christopher Faires
    Hertford

• 14.  RE: Street Manager Update (UK)

Posted 07-31-2019 08:54
    Edited by Chi Lai 07-31-2019 08:55
    ​Hi

Southwark here.

We will shortly be partaking in the SM private beta testing.  I have a meeting next Tuesday with ClaraSys to discuss this.

Southwark is one of the client that would prefer a like-for-like offering and preferrably without using SM at all and would be happy to assist with the testing.

Many Thanks

Chi Lai
    Applications Manager
    Southwark Council
    London