MapInfo Pro

Expand all | Collapse all

MapBasic Error Messages in MapInfo Pro v2019

• 1.  MapBasic Error Messages in MapInfo Pro v2019

Posted 12-17-2019 16:54
    ​Since loading MapInfo Pro v2019 onto my server I have been receiving the following error message when I run my MapBasic programs.

The message appears for about 5 seconds, then disappears and the program runs.
    After the program has run it appears again and remains until I click OK.
    The programs were written and compiled using MapBasic 15 and have run with no problems using MapInfo Pro 16.0 (64-bit).

Any ideas what the problem could be?

------------------------------
    David Murphy
    GIS Officer
    Swan Hill Rural City Council
    Swan Hill

• 2.  RE: MapBasic Error Messages in MapInfo Pro v2019

Posted 12-17-2019 19:00
    Hi David,

How do you run your mbx programs?  Does the message only appear when you double-click on the mbx file to launch MapInfo and run the mbx at the same time?  That is when I occasionally see this message, and I believe it has to do with Windows using file association to send some kind of message to MapInfo when starting it up (and MapInfo not being able to respond at the time because it is still in startup mode).

James Nolet
    Dooley Mitchell & Morrison Pty Ltd
    Mentone, VIC, Australia

• 3.  RE: MapBasic Error Messages in MapInfo Pro v2019

Posted 12-17-2019 19:58
    Hi James,

I confess that I have become lazy and prefer to double-click on the mbx file!
    When I run it through MapInfo v2019 the error messages do not appear.
    Thanks for the explanation, greatly appreciated.​

David Murphy
    GIS Officer
    Swan Hill Rural City Council
    Swan Hill

• 4.  RE: MapBasic Error Messages in MapInfo Pro v2019

Employee
    Posted 12-18-2019 09:57
    ​I assume that in addition to double-clicking on the .mbx, MapInfo Pro is not yet running, correct? I think that is the only time I have seen that message.
    What happens is that the .MBX is associated with MapInfo Pro so windows sends a message to Pro in case it is running. This is how you get the desirable behavior, I believe, of that MBX or .tab or .wor loading inside what is already running.
    However, if Pro is not running, this has to time out and then Windows launches Pro with the a very specific command to run.
    You can see this setup in the registry.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mbxfile\shell\open\command
    The command is  "<path to your install>\MapInfoPro.exe" -noexec "%1"" where the %1 gets replaced by what name of your MBX.
    If it takes too long to start MapInfo Pro I have seen some odd messages. If I do it again with Pro running I never see these kinds of messages.

I use this feature every day and have for a very long time.  To be honest, I usually don't do it by double-clicking but by executing the name of the .MBX or .TAB from the Windows command line but it is the same process.
    If it really is a case of Pro startup taking too long,  you might be able to add the parameter -noautoload to the register item. This will start MapInfo Pro without loading registered MBX programs.  But you can always launch the ones you want later.

Eric Blasenheim
    Spectrum Spatial Technical Product Manager
    Troy, NY