MapInfo Pro

Expand all | Collapse all

Amending Polygon - Reshaping

• 1.  Amending Polygon - Reshaping

Posted 11-20-2019 05:20
    ​Hi I am using MapInfo Pro 17.0 64 Bit.

I am needing to edit an existing polygon on a mapped layer. However When using 'Reshape' tool then it will not let me edit the polygon so that I can split the polygon it two separate sections - there is always a line joining the two sections. Is this possible to be done? I have tried to add new Nodes but this still does not help.

Thanks

R

------------------------------
    Richard Sherman
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 2.  RE: Amending Polygon - Reshaping

Posted 11-20-2019 07:35

Hi Richard,

Try the "Split Target using Polyline" tool.

1. Draw a polyline through the polygon where you want it to be split.
    2. Select the polygon and press Ctrl+T to set the polygon as the target of the editing operation.
    3. Select the polyline.
    4. From the Spatial Tab, choose "Split Target using Polyline" and follow the prompts.
    5. After the split, delete the polyline.

You will now have two separate polygons (two separate region objects).  Is this what you wanted?  Or are you after one region object (i.e. one record) made up of two polygon sections?

James Nolet
    Dooley Mitchell & Morrison Pty Ltd
    Mentone, VIC, Australia

• 3.  RE: Amending Polygon - Reshaping

Posted 11-20-2019 11:46
    Edited by Richard Sherman 11-20-2019 11:58
    Hi James,

Many thanks for your reply. I would like to get one region object but made up of two polygon sections​. (What has happened is that in the middle of a site there has changed status so now the site is split into two polygons as the middle section has been changed to a different site section.

Richard Sherman
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 4.  RE: Amending Polygon - Reshaping

Posted 11-20-2019 16:51
    In that case, draw a new polygon that crosses the line you would like removed.  Once you have done this, set the large polygon as the target (Ctrl+T), then select the new polygon, and choose the Erase Target tool from the Spatial tab.
    Erase polygon

When drawing the new polygon, try to snap to the existing nodes for cleaner results.  Delete this polygon once you are finished.

James Nolet
    Dooley Mitchell & Morrison Pty Ltd
    Mentone, VIC, Australia