Spectrum Spatial (SSA/LIM)

Expand all | Collapse all

Databinds are not available for query results

• 1.  Databinds are not available for query results

Posted 10-10-2019 02:08
    Against the parcel/property polygon layer I have configured a number of databinds that extract from non-spatial SQL Server tables for exporting to CSV, as shown:

SSA Databinds
    These databinds would be most useful when used after having performed a query (such as selecting all polygons within a circle annotation).  However, after performing such a query and displaying the tabular results, the databinds are not available.  The image below shows their lack, whilst highlighting the fact that the Applinking options are still available:

SSA query results
    It seems to me that if the Applinking options are able to be retained, then the databinds could also be retained, as they are both similarly associated with the polygon layer I am querying.  First question: Is this something that could be implemented in a future release?

As a workaround, I could make the databinds available for querying:

SSA query results to include databind

This could be done by modifying the SQL Server views behind the queries to ensure they include a spatial component.  The downside is the user would have to perform the query multiple times if wanting to explore the various databind results.

Second question: What have others done about this and am I missing something?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    James Nolet
    Dooley Mitchell & Morrison Pty Ltd
    Mentone, VIC, Australia

• 2.  RE: Databinds are not available for query results

Posted 10-30-2019 00:10
    I have now implemented the workaround by:

1. Amending the SQL queries in SQL Server to include a spatial component via a join to property polygons.
    2. Resolving the 32-character table name limit imposed by MapInfo Pro on mappable tables.  I wanted the views to be MapInfo-mappable because my preference is to create a MapInfo workspace for these views for uploading into Spatial Manager.  This involved shortening the SQL Server view names and re-configuring existing databinds in Spatial Manager accordingly.
    3. My existing databinds referenced the SQL Server views directly.  I have now modified these to select all fields from the relevant view except the geometry field, as I don't want this geometry field displaying in the info panel.  This ensures that my existing databinds continue to be available and produce the correct results.
    4. The SQL Server views now need to be available as a business map within each SSA project, by:
    • Making the views mappable in MapInfo and including in a MapInfo workspace.
    • Renaming the layers within the workspace - I have used a ""!SRCH_" prefix so these will appear at the top of the drop-down when performing queries.
    • Uploading to Spatial Manager.
    • Modifying SSA projects to include the new business map (turned off by default since these do not actually need to be displayed).
    The result:
    SSA Search Layers
    This allows end users to retrieve property owner, occupier and address details in the field structure of their choice, ready for mail merge or other use.

One thing I wish I did was use similar prefixes for other layers so that those more commonly queried layers appear at the top of the list.  Perhaps next time!

James Nolet
    Dooley Mitchell & Morrison Pty Ltd
    Mentone, VIC, Australia