MapInfo Pro

Expand all | Collapse all

creating an interactive layered map

• 1.  creating an interactive layered map

Posted 08-03-2017 12:52

Is it possible to create a world map that is initially broken down by continents/regions, when a region is selected all the countries within that region are displayed and then clicking on a country results in a table containing info about that country being displayed?? I guess the output would take the form of an Adobe pdf document.  Thanks!

• 2.  RE: creating an interactive layered map

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 08-03-2017 09:28

Hi Jonathan,

In MapInfo Pro, open your Countries table and your Continents table. Then you can create a multi-layered PDF including attribute data by clicking the PDF Button and then checking the "Attribute Data" and "Layered PDF" checkbox. You would then apply this article to view the attribute data. 

See this Article: https://li360.pitneybowes.com/s/article/ka1800000004b06AAA/How-to-view-attribute-data-in-exported-PDF-files-MapInfo-Professional

• 3.  RE: creating an interactive layered map

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 08-03-2017 09:44
      |   view attached

Hi Jonathan,

Turning On the Analysis tool in the PDF shows you the attribute data in the left hand pane as seen below.

AttributeData

• 4.  RE: creating an interactive layered map

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 08-03-2017 10:13

Hi John,

Adding on to Shweta's screenshot, How to enable Analsys, if it is not on by default.

1. For Adobe Reader DC the object data tool is found here: See Screenshot. View > Tools > More Tools > Open > Measure > Select Open.
    2. From Adobe Reader 9 or higher- Open the PDF file with Adobe Acrobat by right clicking the file and clicking on Adobe Acrobat after selecting the “Open with” option.
    3. Click on the “Comments” menu item when the document opens in Adobe Acrobat and then click "Enable for Commenting and Analysis in Adobe Reader” option and click OK to save the settings.

• 5.  RE: creating an interactive layered map

Posted 08-03-2017 10:31

Shweta and Matt thanks for all the help so far, just one thing (Matt) I'm using ?Adobe Acrobat Pro 2017 and I can't find/see where to "enable for commenting and analysis..."

I also notice that I have to click on the name in the list (on the left) to view the attributable data rather than on the map, is it possible to enable the map to do this?

Jonathan

• 6.  RE: creating an interactive layered map

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 08-03-2017 10:36

Hi John,

Try these steps below: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2149204

1. Go to to "Tools" tab with an open Acrobat document.

2. Type "data" to search for all tools that match the word "data."

3. Click on the Object Data Tool.

4. (Optional) click the "Add" menu and choose "Add Shortcut" to add the Measure tool item to the right side menu.

When you click "Measure," you get a new tool bar that has the Measuring tool, the Object Data tool, and the Geospatial location tool all together on the top of the document window.

Let me know if this works for you.

• 7.  RE: creating an interactive layered map

Posted 08-07-2017 09:44

Matt

Thanks for the help so far, it's very much appreciated. I do have a 'question arising' if you don't mind responding:

To get the attributable data to load it's currently necessary to turn on / switch to the model tree option and then select the country for which I want to view the data for. Instead of doing this is it possible to click on the map to display any attributable data?

Thank  you

Jonathan

• 8.  RE: creating an interactive layered map

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 08-07-2017 10:05
      |   view attached

Hi Jon,

When I have the PDF Open, and the Object Data Tool is selected for analysis, I noticed if you single click it select everything at once, but if you DOUBLE click on the country or region, then it displays the individual selections you want to see highlighted.

Double click once Object Data Tool is enabled.

See screenshot example below.

Let me know if this helps.

pdf

• 9.  RE: creating an interactive layered map

Posted 08-08-2017 05:15

Matt

I agree that is exactly what happens! Thank you it does indeed help

Jonathan?

• 10.  RE: creating an interactive layered map

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 08-08-2017 08:05

Hi Jon,

Glad that worked for you. Let me know if you have anything else we can help with. Thanks

• 11.  RE: creating an interactive layered map

Posted 08-08-2017 09:27

Matt

Most of the research reports we publish include various outputs from MapInfo, so for example thematic maps or display of point data. The maps are simply there to illustrate findings rather than say to enable someone to interact with the output.

I'm interested to know if you have anything that explains how to create output that enables someone to interact with a map/layout.

Thanks

Jonathan

• 12.  RE: creating an interactive layered map

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 08-08-2017 10:33

Hi Jon,

You can take clickable objects in your Map such as individual points, states, objects of any kind in MapInfo Pro and add hyperlinks using the HotLink tool to make the map interactive, however your map objects need to have url associates in a table to be linked. See this article: https://li360.pitneybowes.com/s/article/ka1800000004bKzAAI/MapInfo-Professional-and-the-use-of-the-Alias-expression-drop-down-in-the-HotLink-Options-dialog

Other than printing your Map to PDF within Pro, another Pitney Bowes Product such as The Spectrum™ Spatial Map Uploader is a tool that allows you to upload a map workspace, along with the layers and tables it uses from MapInfo Professional into Spectrum Spatial. You can view your uploaded Map on the web and see the information and data along with legends information you create with your workspace. Hope this helps.

• 13.  RE: creating an interactive layered map

Posted 17 days ago
    Hi Jonathan,

Greetings!
    I hope you got the resolution of your query.
    Please mark the best answer by selecting "Make Best Answer" in the Reply menu.
    It will help us and other users save their time.

For more information click here.

Regards

------------------------------
    Aakash Singh
    Pitney Bowes Software India Pvt. Lt
    NOIDA
    ------------------------------