MapInfo Pro

Expand all | Collapse all

Improve Labelling of Gridlines

• 1.  Improve Labelling of Gridlines

Posted 10-11-2017 11:37

The gridlines in the MapInfo v16 are great.

But I am hoping to modify the labels for the gridlines. 

There is a convention in topographic maps that the gridlines labels are simplified for readability, where both the leading and trailing digits are dropped (or sometimes reduced in size). For example, on a topo map with gridlines with a 1000m spacing, the Eastings numbers can be expressed as 76, 77, 78. Where 76 is actually 476,000 but the leading “4” is dropped because it applies for the whole map, and the trailing “000” is dropped because the gridlines are spaced 1000m apart.

Please add this because it is an established convention.

• 2.  RE: Improve Labelling of Gridlines

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 10-11-2017 08:52

Hey John,

Thanks for posting this!

Please submit a feature request: article link: https://li360.pitneybowes.com/s/article/How-to-submit-a-Pitney-Bowes-Software-product-enhancement-request

• 3.  RE: Improve Labelling of Gridlines

Posted 10-11-2017 09:51

That's interesting Matt, because the link from MapInfo Pro >Help >Send Product Improvement Suggestions   brought me to this page!?

• 4.  RE: Improve Labelling of Gridlines

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 10-11-2017 10:05

Hey John,

I am sure Product Management will be made aware of your suggestion in labeling grid-lines ASAP. Thank you for posting a great idea!

• 5.  RE: Improve Labelling of Gridlines

Posted 01-21-2019 22:55
    I have been waiting to see this improvement implemented in either a V16 update or the newer release of V17.
    Do we know if it has been overlooked.
    I need to be able to add mE and mN to my gridline coordinates.
    Its a great feature, having a dynamic grid embedded within the workspace, just need to be able to edit the properties.