MapInfo Pro

Expand all | Collapse all

Having to manually select each table when opening a workspace

• 1.  Having to manually select each table when opening a workspace

Posted 10-20-2017 04:17

We are still using MIP V12 in production. A workspace that I maintain but that is used by many is exhibiting strange behaviour.

It is normal for me, but when others open it the file open dialog comes up and they have to click open for each table that the workspace contains. This is occurring whether the file name contains the full path or is relative. Even when the table is in the same directory as the workspace.

Is there a permissions thing happening here? I have write permission on the folder but the others do not.

I'd love to hear from someone else who has experience with this issue. Very annoying and it discourages users because of the extra start up time.

Thanks

Brian

• 2.  RE: Having to manually select each table when opening a workspace

Posted 10-20-2017 00:22

the above split messages because there is a 255 char limit... :-)?

• 3.  RE: Having to manually select each table when opening a workspace

Posted 10-20-2017 07:16

So Brian, have you examined the wor file in notepad to inspect the filepaths?

• 4.  RE: Having to manually select each table when opening a workspace

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 10-20-2017 10:36

Hi Brian,

There are two MapInfo workspace formats a .wor and a .mws. A .wor file is written using MapBasic and a .mws file is written using an XML. Could you please confirm which format is being used here? There are limitations opening a mws format workspace which could be a possibility.

Regards,

Shweta

• 5.  RE: Having to manually select each table when opening a workspace

Posted 10-23-2017 07:13

Brian, maybe you can share the first 10-20 lines from your workspace?

Do the other users have to browse to a different folder, or can they basically just hit OK to open the tables?

• 6.  RE: Having to manually select each table when opening a workspace

Posted 10-23-2017 07:14

PS: I reformatted your question. The 255 char limit is only for the title - the question itself can be much longer :-)

• 7.  RE: Having to manually select each table when opening a workspace

Posted 10-23-2017 15:23

Sorry for the delay in responding to your attempts to help. Had trouble getting back in and the email responses were bouncing.

John: Yes and the workspace and the paths there in look normal.

Shweta: I haven't struck xml workspaces in V12. This one is a .wor.

Peter: OK will do when I am at work. Accessing from home at the moment. Thanks for the re-format.

Cheers

Brian

• 8.  RE: Having to manually select each table when opening a workspace

Posted 10-23-2017 15:25

Peter: No browsing. Just hit the Open button for each table to be opened.

• 9.  RE: Having to manually select each table when opening a workspace

Posted 10-23-2017 18:09

Workspace extract. Note that some references are relative and some are absolute and both behave the same way.

?!Workspace

!Version 1000

!Charset WindowsLatin1

Open Table "I:\GIS Info\Assets\Graphics\NorthArrow" As NorthArrow Hide Interactive

Open Table "CONCORD_SUBCATCHMENTgda94" As CONCORD_SUBCATCHMENT Interactive

Open Table "DRUMMOYNE_SUBCATCHMENTgda94" As DRUMMOYNE_SUBCATCHMENT Interactive

Open Table "GPTs" As GPTs Interactive

Open Table "comments" As comments Interactive

Open Table "I:\GIS Info\Corporate Data\Archived Data\CANADABAY_LGA_Polygon" As CANADABAY_LGA Interactive

Open Table "I:\GIS Info\Assets\basedata\Parramatta_River_trimmed" As Parramatta_River_trimmed Interactive

Open Table "Drainage_condition_records" As Drainage_condition_records Interactive

Open Table "critical overland flow buffers" As critical_overland_flow_buffers Interactive

Open Table "Drainage Plan Register" As Drainage_Plan_Register Interactive

Open Table "Drainage cosmetic layer" As Drainage_cosmetic_layer Interactive

Open Table "I:\GIS Info\Corporate Data\ADDRESS" As ADDRESS Interactive

Open Table "I:\GIS Info\Corporate Data\ROAD CENTRE LINE" As ROAD_CENTRE_LINE Interactive

Open Table "I:\GIS Info\Assets\basedata\CONTOURS_trimmed" As CONTOURS_trimmed Interactive

Open Table "I:\GIS Info\Corporate Data\PROPERTIES" As PROPERTIES Interactive

Open Table "I:\GIS Info\Exponare\Prod\Cache\Properties_T1Info" As Properties_T1Info Interactive

Open Table "I:\GIS Info\Assets\Seamless_aerials_2016_from_Q_drive" As Seamless_aerials_2016_from_Q_d Interactive

Open Table "I:\GIS Info\Corporate Data\Easements\Easements" As Easements Interactive

Open Table "CCBC_Pits_gda94" As CCBC_Pits_gda94 Interactive

Open Table "CCBC_Pipes_gda94" As CCBC_Pipes_gda94 Interactive

• 10.  RE: Having to manually select each table when opening a workspace

Posted 10-23-2017 18:26

Actually on testing it is only the tables without a path that ask, so that gives a work around. Tried setting the user's tab file location preference to the relevant directory, but that did not work. Tried using all absolute paths and that does work, but I'd like to understand why, when the file open dialogue box opens at the correct directory, it is not finding the file?

B.?

• 11.  RE: Having to manually select each table when opening a workspace

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 10-23-2017 18:50

Another setting to try is the "Seach Directories for Tables" under Directory Preferences. This is like a "safety net" for MapInfo Pro to look in when there are TAB files missing from a WOR. If you have the high/top level directory listed here (in your sample WOR this would be "I:\GIS Info\") it would be expected that MapInfo Pro would iterate through & find + open any TAB's perceived to be missing from the WOR. Could be an alternative workaround.

• 12.  RE: Having to manually select each table when opening a workspace

Posted 10-23-2017 19:07

Thanks Ashley. Funny thing is it has arrived at the correct directory. Anyway will suggest my users spend some time setting up their preferences. It may speed things up.

Cheers

Brian?

• 13.  RE: Having to manually select each table when opening a workspace

Posted 10-23-2017 19:13

Is the config file that the ?directory preferences are recorded to editable or copy-able from machine to machine? That may be preferable to individual users setting their own...

• 14.  RE: Having to manually select each table when opening a workspace

Posted 10-23-2017 23:50

I found the config file through the assistance of this article: https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/217801/finding-mapinfo-pro-settings-file Not meant to be human editable and I am going to leave it alone!

Brian?

• 15.  RE: Having to manually select each table when opening a workspace

Posted 10-24-2017 02:47

Hi

Trying to understand what's going on here.

Are these two files actually in the same folder or in two different places:

• "I:\GIS Info\Assets\Graphics\NorthArrow"
    • "CONCORD_SUBCATCHMENTgda94"

Does all users have the I drive and are they also accessing the workspace thru the same drive share?

• 16.  RE: Having to manually select each table when opening a workspace

Posted 10-24-2017 18:02

Hi Peter,

1) Are these two files actually in the same folder or in two different places: No. Full path of the latter is:

I:\GIS Info\Assets\Drainage\CONCORD_SUBCATCHMENTgda94.TAB

and

?2) Do all users have the I drive and are they also accessing the workspace thru the same drive share? Yes.

Note from above that I have essentially solved the problem by using all full paths in the workspace, however I'd still like to understand the reasons for the strange and varied behaviour.

Cheers

Brian

• 17.  RE: Having to manually select each table when opening a workspace

Posted 10-25-2017 02:01

I wonder if the order of the tables matter?

Would it help if all the tables with the full paths where last in the list of "Open Table" statements?

But then again we would have seen more issues like this if that was the case.

• 18.  RE: Having to manually select each table when opening a workspace

Posted 11-01-2017 18:35

Well, I thought I had a satisfactory work around by editing the workspace to all absolute file paths, but each time I save an edit of the workspace it reinstates the relative path for the tables in the? same directory as the workspace and I have to re-edit, which is a nuisance.

I will keep experimenting.

Peter is there a way to change the order of the open table statements from within Mapinfo? editing that in the workspace gets a little complicated as the set map layer numbers will change.

Brian

• 19.  RE: Having to manually select each table when opening a workspace

Posted 11-01-2017 18:42

In the latest instance of the problem the user had set the ?initial directory for tables to the directory holding the workspace and the tables that are causing the problem. This is the same setting as on my PC where the problem does not occur.

Mystery.

• 20.  RE: Having to manually select each table when opening a workspace

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 11-01-2017 22:50

Hi Brian - how frustrating that it keeps re-appearing! Manually editing the workspace isn't really a satisfactory workaround. Further investigation of the issue would be advisable (and could be involved). Would it be possible for you to reach out to our Technical Support team to open a Case so they can help out (I can share contact points for Support if you don't have them handy)? We can work with you to identify the root cause of this behaviour and then determine solutions.

• 21.  RE: Having to manually select each table when opening a workspace

Posted 11-02-2017 01:18

Thanks Ashley. Done. Case Number:15233707.

Enjoyed the road show at Woolloomooloo ?recently.

Brian

• 22.  RE: Having to manually select each table when opening a workspace

Posted 11-03-2017 06:51

Brian,

You should be able to manually change the order of the Open Table statements.

That will not affect the Set Map statements as they are using the order of the layers, not the order of the tables.

Maybe that could provide you with a workaround until we find a more durable solution

• 23.  RE: Having to manually select each table when opening a workspace

Posted 17 days ago
    Hi Brian,

Greetings!
    I hope you got the resolution of your query.
    Please mark the best answer by selecting "Make Best Answer" in the Reply menu.
    It will help us and other users save their time.

For more information click here.

Regards

------------------------------
    Aakash Singh
    Pitney Bowes Software India Pvt. Lt
    NOIDA

• 24.  RE: Having to manually select each table when opening a workspace

Posted 17 days ago
    Hi Brian,

Greetings!
    I hope you got the resolution of your query.
    Please mark the best answer by selecting "Make Best Answer" in the Reply menu.
    It will help us and other users save their time.

For more information click here.

Regards

Aakash Singh
    Pitney Bowes Software India Pvt. Lt
    NOIDA