MapInfo Pro

Expand all | Collapse all

Spatial Selection HELP

• 1.  Spatial Selection HELP

Posted 08-09-2019 16:53
    Hi,
    I'm trying to select a group of polygons that Intersect with a larger study area. I have multiple study areas so a SQL selection is ideal.
    Any ideas?
    The current SQL Select is only providing me with one demo tract when i need all that intersect.

------------------------------
    Tyler Sassara

• 2.  RE: Spatial Selection HELP

Posted 08-10-2019 17:59
    Hi Tyler,

Use the INTERSECTS operator instead of Contains. Also, if you group just by the first tables ID, you'll only get the first intersecting result. Either, don't group or group by both tables ID columns.

You can also use AreaOverlap() function in the Select clause to return the size of the area that is covered by the intersection. This isn't in the drop down list on the dialog. You can find more info on this in the MapBasic help.

AreaOverlap( object1, object2) - From Mapbasic doc, Return Value = A float value representing the area (in MapBasic's current area units) of the overlap of the two objects.

So with your tables it would be

AreaOverlap(Single_TA.Obj,TractDemoSales_2018e.Obj)

Hope this helps

Simon Emmanuel
    Spatial Solutions Manager
    Salmat Digital
    Prestons

• 3.  RE: Spatial Selection HELP

Community Manager
    Posted 08-12-2019 08:58
    Hi Tyler,

Thanks for your question!

I wanted to follow up and see if @Simon Emmanuel's response helped you with your select query? If so, will you take a moment to mark his post as the Best Answer to your question? You can do this by clicking the arrow next to "Reply" on his post, and choosing "Make Best Answer."

You can read more about Best Answers in this FAQ article here.​​

Thank you!

Sydney Lawton
    Community Manager