MapInfo Pro

Expand all | Collapse all

Intermittent MapInfo Pro v15.0 problem - unable to select/move labels in map window

• 1.  Intermittent MapInfo Pro v15.0 problem - unable to select/move labels in map window

Posted 01-24-2019 07:18
    ​Since our recent upgrade to v15.0 from v11.5 we have noticed an issue with selecting and moving labels in the map window.  This didn't used to happen so I am guessing it's a bug, but I can't find a reference to it on the Pitney Bowes site.  We have a standard workspace with lots of layers with labels switched on.  When we want to produce a map, we click and drag these labels as required.  What happens now is that sometimes (it may be after the first few labels have been moved successfully) it stops allowing labels to be selected - you just start selecting objects on the layers below instead.  This can be worked around by switching off layers temporarily while doing the label shifts (sometimes switching the base map off works), but we wondered if there is a fix for this?  I have checked the "Selectable Labels" option at the top of the Layer Control and it is switched on OK - besides, the issue is intermittent.

Many thanks,
    Jane

------------------------------
    Jane Mason
    Biological Records Officer (GIS), Suffolk Biodiversity Information Service, UK

• 2.  RE: Intermittent MapInfo Pro v15.0 problem - unable to select/move labels in map window

Posted 01-24-2019 08:54

Hi Jane

Can you check that you haven't accidentally turned off the ability to select labels for the map. This is a new feature that would you prevent you from selecting labels when you really want to select spatial features in the map.

It's locate din the Layer Control to the right of the map, see the image below. The image is from MapInfo Pro 17.0 but the icon can be found at the same location in the Layer Control in MapInfo Pro 15.0

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Pitney Bowes

• 3.  RE: Intermittent MapInfo Pro v15.0 problem - unable to select/move labels in map window

Posted 01-24-2019 09:08
    Thanks for your reply Peter, but yes I checked that, as I saw from searching this list for similar problems that this is now a feature.  But it is always turned on when the issue occurs.

Best wishes,
    Jane​

Jane Mason

• 4.  RE: Intermittent MapInfo Pro v15.0 problem - unable to select/move labels in map window

Posted 01-24-2019 10:59
    Can you make sure you are using the latest version of MapInfo Pro 15.0 which currently is MapInfo Pro 15.0.3.
    You can get it here: Download MapInfo Pro 15.0.3

I saw we did fix some issues related to labels. This was however specifically when using a Clip Region.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Pitney Bowes

• 5.  RE: Intermittent MapInfo Pro v15.0 problem - unable to select/move labels in map window

Posted 01-25-2019 07:21
    Thanks Peter - I would like to!  I have passed on the advice but I think it may be a while before we have the upgrade.

Jane Mason

• 6.  RE: Intermittent MapInfo Pro v15.0 problem - unable to select/move labels in map window

Posted 02-05-2019 05:27
    Just an update to this - I have had the ​maintenance release upgrade to MapInfo Pro 15.0.3.  I thought at first that it had solved the problem, but yesterday I noticed that it is still happening - after a while of selecting and moving labels, it stops being possible without doing something like zooming in and out, or actually making all other layers unselectable.

Jane Mason

• 7.  RE: Intermittent MapInfo Pro v15.0 problem - unable to select/move labels in map window

Posted 02-18-2019 03:08
    Hi Jane,
    Not something I have come across before.
    I have passed this onto our tech support team for them to investigate.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Pitney Bowes

• 8.  RE: Intermittent MapInfo Pro v15.0 problem - unable to select/move labels in map window

Posted 02-18-2019 05:03
    Thank you Peter.​

Jane Mason

• 9.  RE: Intermittent MapInfo Pro v15.0 problem - unable to select/move labels in map window

Posted 02-21-2019 05:31
    I had the following reply from PBS Technical Support, which is useful (in summary do a Control-D to force a re-draw):

"The problem you encounter is a known issue in our 32-bit version. Please see the following article and it's workarounds to temporarily fix the issue. I've checke the related bug # MIPRO-71649 and discovered that it is not yet fixed in version 15.0.3. Another workaround would be to upgrade MapInfo to 64-bit."

The link to the article mentioned is http://support.pitneybowes.com/VFP06_KnowledgeWithSidebarTroubleshoot?id=kA280000000CqcnCAC&popup=false&lang=en_US
    but the details are here:

Cause

This cause for this is unknown and a bug has been created for this issues:

MIPRO-71649
    Resolution

UPDATED: March 29, 2017
    There are two possible workarounds for this issue;When you get into a state where you can't select a particular label, do a Control-D to force a redraw. This fixes the problem for a while. You can then pick the label that you wasn't able to pick previously and move it. 
    There may be an issue with the table so you can exported the table to MIF/MID, then re-imported the MIF/MID into a new table.

Jane Mason