MapInfo Pro

Expand all | Collapse all

ascii files with elevation problems

• 1.  ascii files with elevation problems

Posted 17 days ago
    Hi, I am using mapinfo pro, and do not have access to mapinfo advance (unfortunately).  I have ascii files with elevation data.  I have converted them to rendered image files, clipped them to size and then converted them back into ascii text files.  The problem I have been wrestling with is all my files seem to be on the same elevation.  This is the same whether the files are tif files, ascii files or rendered raster image files. I need to view the layers in 3d, then slice them to create a vertical profile.  Even viewing them as grid files still results in the same outcome.  I sincerely hope someone can help me!

Regards  Derek

------------------------------
    Derek Walters
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 2.  RE: ascii files with elevation problems

Posted 17 days ago
    Hi Derek

Even though you don't have access to MapInfo Pro Advanced, you can still use the Convert tool under Raster Operations on the RASTER tab to convert the files into a different and faster format, such as MRR or GeoTIFF.

Have you tried opening the ASCII files into MapInfo Pro? If you do, does the entire area covered by the file have the same color?
    Have you tried using the Cell Value tool from the RASTER tab to inspect the values in the grid?
    Also try using the Statistics tool on the RASTER tab to inspect the values in your grid.

Can you share a screenshot where you have the file open in MapInfo Pro or maybe even share one of your files in a zip file?

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Pitney Bowes

• 3.  RE: ascii files with elevation problems

Posted 17 days ago
    Hi Peter,

Thank you for taking the time with this.  I am really stumped.  I have attached a screen shot and a few zipped files.  If I can solve the problem with these three, I can solve it for the other 20.   Map Info Pro Discover doesn't have the Raster Tab you speak of.  As I work for a small company within the university, the option of upgrading doesn't exist for one person for one application.   From what I understand, it SHOULD be possible to have these files separated and then slice them, but this defeats me!

Kindest Regards

Derek Walters

Address - PO box 189
                     Warrnambool  Vic  3280
    Mobile -  0417 134 970
    Email -     stone_dad@hotmail.com

Attachment(s)

docx
    Doc1.docx   598K 1 version
    zip
    raster to ascii.zip   4.45MB 1 version

• 4.  RE: ascii files with elevation problems

Posted 16 days ago
    Hi Derek

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your data.
    As you can see below the values differ a lot across the line I have drawn in the map and use for a cross section

It's been a while since I used Discover3D the last time. As I recall, you can change the scale of your z-values. Try to do this and see if that makes a difference to the view in Discover3D. I can see that it looks quite flat.

You could also try to convert your rasters to a diffrent format, for example "Encom Grids" or "GeoTiff".

Have you looked at the Datamine Discover knowledgebase? Maybe that can help you out?

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Pitney Bowes