Spectrum Spatial (SSA/LIM)

Expand all | Collapse all

How have you structured the data in the Spectrum repository?

• 1.  How have you structured the data in the Spectrum repository?

Posted 04-07-2019 19:42
    I am interested to hear how others have organised data for use in SSA in their Spectrum repository.

I am finding that as I add more and more maps for use in SSA the current structure of our repository is becoming difficult to manage.  I am particularly interested in how organisations with large amounts of layers are keeping everything organised.

Thanks

------------------------------
    Ben Stephenson
    IT/GIS Officer
    Corangamite Shire Council
    Camperdown

• 2.  RE: How have you structured the data in the Spectrum repository?

Posted 04-08-2019 23:53
    Hi Ben,

Right from the start I realised the importance of managing the repository effectively, just like with folder structures and database objects.  It's much easier to organise things properly right from at the start, rather than to undergo a clean-up down the track!  In the repository, I try to use folder names that match the main GIS folders in Windows Explorer.

I then use sub-folders - one for each SSA Map (where each SSA Map corresponds to a MapInfo workspace).  Each Map/MapInfo Workspace also has a prefix, so they can be grouped together and found more easily in SSA Project Manager.

Using one sub-folder per MapInfo workspace helps when there are issues and you need to delete and reload.

Here for example is what has been set up at one client site.  The "MapBase" folder might alternatively be called "Property":

Spatial Manager Folder Structure

In Project Settings - Manage Layers (indicating the importance of prefixes):
    Project Settings

James Nolet
    Dooley Mitchell & Morrison Pty Ltd

• 3.  RE: How have you structured the data in the Spectrum repository?

Posted 04-10-2019 21:48
    I tend to use a similar strategy to James, I hadn't thought of creating a separate folder for each map but I try and keep each sub-folder to two or three related maps.  I find that prefixing is an absolute must as it will make it much easier to find the map you want when adding them to SSA.

Duri Bradshaw
    Spatial IT Consultant
    Insight GIS

• 4.  RE: How have you structured the data in the Spectrum repository?

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 04-09-2019 00:26
    ​I am very interested in this. Our repository is designed around the idea of end user organization. I have seen quite a bit of flat ones like 1500 resources in one folder.
    I will watch this discussion and hope others do too.  the key, to me, is something that is memorable. If you can't remember any of the folder or resource names, it seems something is wrong.  But I will watch what goes on here.

Eric Blasenheim
    Spectrum Spatial Technical Product Manager
    Troy, NY

• 5.  RE: How have you structured the data in the Spectrum repository?

Posted 4 days ago
    Hi there,
    We are facing exactly the same challenge after upgrading to the latest SSA2018.2. In our previous setup everything was put under 5 default folders (NamedLayers, NamedMaps, NamedStyles, NamedTables & NamedTiles):

SSA Old folder schema
    Now, with the new version, the schema has changed and a new folder is created for each map, containing all resources inside.

This is a great concern for us because we're dealing with hundreds of workspaces and thousands of tables and we want to keep them as organized as possible. Now we have a huge repository structured in the old manner and new maps being added in the new structure, which of course is not the ideal solution.

I do believe that using prefixes is a good advice. I'll keep an eye at this thread and look forward on hearing from other users to get the best solution as possible.

Miquel Roy Sunyer
    Kirklees Council
    HUDDERSFIELD