Spectrum Spatial (SSA/LIM)

Expand all | Collapse all

WFS in SSA

• 1.  WFS in SSA

Posted 12-04-2018 04:29
    Hello,

Can someone form  PB tell me when WFS will be supported in SSA, please.

Thanks,
    Stuart

------------------------------
    Stuart Carter
    GIS Officer
    Southwark Council
    London

• 2.  RE: WFS in SSA

Posted 12-05-2018 19:47
    Hi Stuart,

Can I ask what you are trying to achieve using WFS in SSA?

My understanding of WFS is that it would only be suitable for very small layers as it is quite an inefficient way to transferring large quantities of vector data. Not saying that it wouldn't be useful in SSA just wondering what your use case would be?

Duri

Duri Bradshaw
    INSIGHT GIS

• 3.  RE: WFS in SSA

Posted 12-06-2018 04:34

We use Europa Technologies' ViaEuropa WMTS OS data map stack for our base mapping. This is fantastic and means that I no longer have to go through the rigmarole several times a year of building and caching our own OS mapping (including OS Mastermap) and publishing that to SSA.

However there is still the need to utilise some vector OS MM topo layers. Europa Technologies will be bringing in a WFS service of OS MM topo next year. I'm interested in taking that on. However, berceuse my understanding is that SSA does not yet support WFS, it would only be of immediate use in MapInfo. Using in Mapinfo is fine, and we have  separate use cases for that, but I can also foresee uses in SSA. So, I just wanted to know what plans PB has for bringing in WFS support.

• 4.  RE: WFS in SSA

Posted 12-06-2018 17:44
    Hi Stuart,

I agree I certainly see some very good uses for WFS, i'm not sure if loading whole data sets will work from a performance point of view but the ability to bring in smaller data sets as vector layers would be great.

Duri Bradshaw
    Spatial IT Consultant
    Insight GIS

• 5.  RE: WFS in SSA

Posted 12-07-2018 03:55

Yes, it certainly wouldn't be used on a base mapping basis  - our ViaEuropa WMTS takes care of that. It's more for utilising the vectors and maybe snapping, if PB ever supported that.

• 6.  RE: WFS in SSA

Posted 12-10-2018 03:54
    Would this be a usable workaround for you, Stuart:

1. In MapInfo Pro connect tot he WFS service and download the vector data for your area of interest
    2. Style the WFS layer as you want it to look
    3. Publish the WFS layer to Spectrum Spatial as a Named Map (must admit that I haven't checked if it does support WFS Tables from Pro)
    4. Add the Named Map to the Map Config of choice.
    If needed you can setup a daily, weekly or monthly schedule to refresh your WFS table. This would also be reflected in the data your see in SSA.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Pitney Bowes