All Things Location

Expand all | Collapse all

Yet another take on LI

• 1.  Yet another take on LI

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 05-08-2019 14:04

Well, there's yet another market research report on trends in LI and GIS produced by Geospatial Media, though unfortunately misrepresents location intelligence in several fundamental ways.

The first glaring error can be found in this statement: "The rapid emergence of Location Intelligence as a separate umbrella is enabling the confluence of GIS and Analytics."

First, LI is not a "separate umbrella" ... This is my definition:

• Location Intelligence is the information derived from the management, analysis and visualization of location-based data.
      • And the corollary: By combining location-based data with other attributes of the data, geospatial or non-geospatial, patterns and proximity relationships emerge that would otherwise remain unrecognized and business insights missed.

And then there is this misstatement: "Location Intelligence is, interestingly and uniquely, a common platform..."

Referring to my definition above...LI is not a platform. GIS is a tool and could be described as a platform, but LI describes the results of analysis and does not manifest itself as a software platform.

These misinformed statements confuse the market and further exacerbates the ability to define purpose and meaning for organization looking to better exploit both software solutions and location-based data.

------------------------------
    Joe Francica
    PITNEY BOWES SOFTWARE
    BOULDER CO

• 2.  RE: Yet another take on LI

Posted 05-09-2019 05:21
    Thanks Joe
    I think that is the first time that I have seen a definition of Location Intelligence in a statement (perhaps I've been reading the wrong pages?).
    When I first heard of Location Intelligence as a term, I classed it more as a new strap line rather than a discipline.
    Definitions are so important when presenting and establishing this.
    Otherwise confusion reigns...

John Ievers
    CDR Group
    Hope Valley, United Kingdom

• 3.  RE: Yet another take on LI

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 05-09-2019 07:58
    Hi John:
    Thanks for your comment. I have been using that definition for several years but perhaps I need to post it more widely. As you may remember, I started the Location Intelligence Conference in 2004 when I was with Directions Magazine and I found it helpful to define what this term meant if for no other reason to make certain I would use it consistently.

Look forward to seeing you in London at the MI Pro User Group meeting in a few weeks.
    Joe

Joe Francica
    PITNEY BOWES SOFTWARE
    BOULDER CO