Confirm

Expand all | Collapse all

Import anything - observations

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  Import anything - observations

Posted 08-20-2019 11:51
    Hello,

Does anyone have a template for importing the observations via import anything please? I have tried .csv and .txt with headings, without headings, with the 1, 2 but it errors for anything. Any help would be gratefully received.

I have trying to import the observation type, Parameter and Parameter option (plus the feature type feature groups).

Thanks, Laura

------------------------------
    Laura Perham
    Essex County Council

• 2.  RE: Import anything - observations

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 08-21-2019 02:54
    Hi Laura,

Can I just confirm, are you attempting to import new Observation Types & Parameters, or attempting to change the condition of an asset through updating the grade/values of Observation Types?

--
    Andrew McSeveney
    Principal Consultant
    Pitney Bowes

• 3.  RE: Import anything - observations

Posted 08-21-2019 03:11
    Hi Andrew,

Apologies, I should have said - it is brand new observation types and parameter lookups. I am setting up new inspection types and there are a lot of options. Looking at the import anything spec but cannot work out the headings and get random errors on import but nothing to specifically say what I am doing wrong.

Thanks, Laura

Laura Perham
    Senior Technician
    Essex County Council
    Chelmsford

• 4.  RE: Import anything - observations

Posted 08-21-2019 05:35
    Hi Andrew,

I have got a bit further now and using the import observation imports with the set up in the spec. Still seem to be missing columns at the moment but least I think I know what I am doing now. Thanks for coming back to me.

Laura Perham
    Senior Technician
    Essex County Council
    Chelmsford

• 5.  RE: Import anything - observations
    Best Answer

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 08-21-2019 05:47
    Glad to hear you're making progress.  I was going to respond to use the Observation Lookups specification, this would be a tab or comma separated file with header rows.  You can then import these files using the Import Observation Lookups in Confirm (you specify the file type at this point as either CSV or Tab).  Whilst you can import many lookup types, not all are covered (and this could extend to a specific field which cannot be updated by import).

If you are using Import Anything for other imports in the future, these files always contain header row(s) (starting with '1') and data rows (starting with '2') - you can optionally include the record count rows (starting with '9') as these are not alway required.

Typically Import Anything is used to import records which aren't lookup table entries - i.e. you can import new assets, or changes to an asset's attributes/measurements.  However, it doesn't let you import new attribute types or other related lookups - this is where you'd use the 'Import Specification' in most cases (shown in Help under Specifications).  Check the specification as some of these do require header rows, others don't and some are TAB or CSV/TAB (just to keep you on your toes).

--
    Andrew McSeveney
    Principal Consultant
    Pitney Bowes

• 6.  RE: Import anything - observations

Posted 08-21-2019 06:00
    Thank you very much, I think that was my downfall - I was using import anything and was getting errors I did not understand. I did have the 1 and 2 in the end but I had missed something else along the way which I still do not know what.

Thank you, I will adopt this approach as we will be importing more - I swapped to the import observation lookups and whilst it was still wrong, the error messages were easier to understand and, pleased to say I have successfully imported now!

Thanks again,

Laura Perham
    Senior Technician
    Essex County Council
    Chelmsford

• 7.  RE: Import anything - observations

Posted 28 days ago
    Hi Laura,

Greetings!
    I hope you got the resolution of your query. We appreciate you for your active participation in our Knowledge Community.
    Please mark the best answer by selecting "Make Best Answer" in the Reply menu.
    It will help us and other users save their time.

For more information click here.

Aakash Singh
    Pitney Bowes Software India Pvt. Lt
    NOIDA

• 8.  RE: Import anything - observations

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 27 days ago
    Hello Laura

In the help files there are two types of imports and these are under Specifications > Import Anything Specification and Specifications > Import Specification. 'Import Specifications' is, broadly speaking, for importing lookups and I see that after Andrew McSeveney's comment you were able to use this to import your data.

In other circumstances, if you need to use Import Anything  the specification for all Import Anything files is in the Confirm help but I created a series of knowledge articles that contain examples of import files.  There is a parent knowledge article called Creating Import Anything files for Confirm in accordance with the specification that has links to Import Anything specifications and examples for:
    - Sites
    - Highway Dedication
    - Features and Feature Attributes
    - Inventory and Inventory Attributes
    - Surveys
    - Asset Valuation Logs
    - Jobs and Job Items
    - Inspection Features and Conditions
    - Defects and Defect Attributes
    - Defect Updates
    - Inspection Routes
    - Monitoring Item