MapInfo Pro

Expand all | Collapse all

Mapinfo crashes when trying to print to txt file

• 1.  Mapinfo crashes when trying to print to txt file

Posted 02-14-2019 19:12
    I want to log the text from a message window in a mapbasic script to a txt file but the program now crashes.

Print ProcessThese.FullPath
    Open file "D:\4_RefreshMB.txt" for output as #1
    Print #1, ProcessThese.FullPath
    Close File #1
    Run Command CmdString

enter image description here

Problem signature: Problem Event Name: BEX Application Name: Mapinfow.exe Application Version: 12.5.0.206 Application Timestamp: 54bd32f4 Fault Module Name: MSVCR110.dll Fault Module Version: 11.0.50727.1 Fault Module Timestamp: 5011aa2a Exception Offset: 0009e1d1 Exception Code: c0000417 Exception Data: 00000000 OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.272.7 Locale ID: 3081 Additional Information 1: 3a04 Additional Information 2: 3a0491f107d8a808063562f7a7e91ce4 Additional Information 3: cb13 Additional Information 4: cb1337f25bf49f1acbe672c17d32b428 Read our privacy statement online: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409 If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline: C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

The code runs fine without the open/close file commands but I want to have a log file.

------------------------------
    George Corea
    Mangoesmapping

• 2.  RE: Mapinfo crashes when trying to print to txt file

Posted 02-14-2019 19:57
    Hi George,

Perhaps try assigning ProcessThese.FullPath to a variable first; e.g:
    sFullPath = ProcessThese.FullPath
    Print #1, sFullPath

You will need to declare the variable first (at the beginning of the program):
    Dim sFullPath As String

Also please note the following:
    * The "Run Command CmdString" line is unrelated to what you're trying to do here (but don't delete it - it is still a required part of your code)
    * I understand from your previous post that this code is in a loop.  Whilst what you have done should work, it would be better to execute the 'Open file "D:\4_RefreshMB.txt" for output as #1' statement just before the start of the loop, then close the file at the end of the loop.

James Nolet
    Dooley Mitchell & Morrison Pty Ltd

• 3.  RE: Mapinfo crashes when trying to print to txt file

Posted 02-14-2019 21:34
    Thanks. I tried this but it still crashes.

George Corea
    Mangoesmapping

• 4.  RE: Mapinfo crashes when trying to print to txt file

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 02-15-2019 12:25
    Hi. What is the value of ProcessThese.FullPath? Any chance that ProcessThese is not assigned? If you print to the Message Window, instead of a file, do you see what you would expect to see? Does the output file get created?

John Teague
    PITNEY BOWES SOFTWARE, INC
    Troy NY

• 5.  RE: Mapinfo crashes when trying to print to txt file

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 02-15-2019 12:48
    Also, you can add an error handler which might help here.
    E.g.,
    sub main
    onerror goto ErrorTrap
    Done:
    Exit Sub
    ErrorTrap:
    print "Main: " + Str$(err()) + ": " + Error$()
    Resume next
    End Sub

John Teague
    PITNEY BOWES SOFTWARE, INC
    Troy NY

• 6.  RE: Mapinfo crashes when trying to print to txt file

Posted 02-17-2019 21:04
    I added this error capture but it still crashes.

ProcessThese.FullPath is simply an in memmory file that it takes the value in the column FullPath from to create a list. The full code is part of this question as I inherited this code base without any notes and we found that it's crashing in some steps. So I wanted to write the messages that currently write just to the message window to a text file so that I can easily see where the error is happening -usually causing MI to crash with no error report about 45 mins after it starts to execute.

...but the (simple) addition of code to log to a txt file is now causing mapinfo to crash before it starts executing...

George Corea
    Mangoesmapping

• 7.  RE: Mapinfo crashes when trying to print to txt file

Posted 02-17-2019 21:58
    Hi George,

I'm probably on the wrong track, but am just wondering about the following questions:

Can you see if anything prints to the message window before MapInfo crashes?  I would expect at least one FullPath string to be printed before the crash, if it is the log file causing the error.
    Have you tried a different path for the log file?
    Can you give an example of the strings within the FullPath field?  Are there any invalid characters in any of the records?

James Nolet
    Dooley Mitchell & Morrison Pty Ltd

• 8.  RE: Mapinfo crashes when trying to print to txt file

Posted 02-18-2019 02:36
    Here is the log procedure I normally when having to use logging in my MapBasic application:

Sub DEBUGWriteToFile(ByVal sMessage As String)
    Dim nErr As Integer
    OnError GoTo ErrorOccured

'I'm using a variable file set elsewhere but you can hardcode it as shown below
    'Open File msDebugFile
    Open File PathToDirectiory$(TempFileName$()) & "logfile.txt"
       For Append As #975
       CharSet SystemInfo(SYS_INFO_CHARSET)

Print #975, Time(24) & " " & sMessage
    Close File #975

Exit Sub
    '-------------------------
    ErrorOccured:
       nErr = Err()
       If nErr = 825 Then
          Resume 0
       Else
          Print "Error: " & nErr & ": " & Error$() & " DEBUGWriteToFile: " & sMessage
       End If

End Sub

I wonder if it can be connected to the location of your log file. Have you tried specifying a path to your TEMP folder as I have done above?

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Pitney Bowes