MapInfo Pro

Expand all | Collapse all

GELink tool - attributes missing - no KML schema fields

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  GELink tool - attributes missing - no KML schema fields

Posted 15 days ago

Hello all,

I have MI Pro v17.0.3 evaluation version, and am trying to use the GELink tool to export a TAB file to KML so that I have an editable layer with all its attributes showing in a data table in Google Maps.  I then want to be able to export that data back out of Google Maps to TAB or Excel, with all the attribute fields.  But when I use the tool to create a KML file, my attributes are all in the  kml_description field and there are no kml_schema fields - and in Google Maps although I can see the attributes as a list when I click on a Placemark, they aren't in a proper table because they are all in the one Description field.  When exported out to KML again from Google Maps, and translated to TAB in Universal Translator, the attribute table for the Placemark is empty.

I can't see that I am doing anything wrong - is this how it is meant to work?

Many thanks in advance if you can help!

Jane

------------------------------
    Jane Mason
    Biological Records Officer (GIS), Suffolk Biodiversity Information Service, UK

• 2.  RE: GELink tool - attributes missing - no KML schema fields

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 14 days ago
    Hello Jane,

You can export your map as a Raster or a Vector. If you export a selected map object as a raster, the whole view is exported, ignoring the selection.

As a vector map you can preserve the data associated with those objects and can access the metadata in Google Maps. You can also choose the Columns to be displayed in Google Earth. Make the selection and choose .kml as the format to export. It should work fine.  When you double click on Google Earth, you get to see the associated attributes.

Regards,
    Shweta

Shweta Shukla
    Pitney Bowes Software India
    Noida

• 3.  RE: GELink tool - attributes missing - no KML schema fields

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 14 days ago
      |   view attached
    If you are not making any selection,  no data is sent to Google Earth.

Shweta Shukla
    Noida

• 4.  RE: GELink tool - attributes missing - no KML schema fields

Posted 14 days ago

Thank you for your reply, Shweta.  I do understand and I did make the selection of an entire vector layer and I can see the attributes in Google Maps, in the data table and when I click on a polygon – but all the attributes are in the Description field -  is this how it should be?:

I want to be able to edit those attributes in Google Maps (which I can) but then in the future export them back to TAB with all those attributes seen in a Brower table in MapInfo. 

But when I use the Universal Translator to translate the KML file back to tab, the resulting Placemark table Browser has only one column in it called "blank" – and it is in fact empty of attribute data (as are the Browsers of the other tables produced): 

• So how do I get the attributes which I can see in Google Maps back out to a MapInfo Table using the Universal Translator?  I have accepted the defaults in the Parameters (one of which is "Scan Schema – Yes" in the Reader Parameters).  I can't see anything to change in order to get the attributes.

Thank you,

Jane

• 5.  RE: GELink tool - attributes missing - no KML schema fields

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 10 days ago
    Hi Jane,

This is not about MapInfo Pro. It could be a Google Earth Import tool issue or could be  a Work as Designed from both sides. Googles Earth tool uses MITAB library to import to a kml format which is a third-party hack to use the MIPro TAB file format. In both our examples, Google Earth imports all the selected objects from our table as expected.

I will get it confirmed with a developer and let you know if the behavior should be different or  if it should be filed as a support issue.

Regards,
    Shweta

Shweta Shukla
    Noida

• 6.  RE: GELink tool - attributes missing - no KML schema fields

Posted 10 days ago

Great, many thanks Shweta.

Best regards,

Jane

• 7.  RE: GELink tool - attributes missing - no KML schema fields
    Best Answer

Pitney Bowes
    Posted 10 days ago
    Hi Jane.
    The GELink tool is pretty simplistic (and old) in that it writes the contents of the MapInfo table rows into a single concatenated description field.  It was never as robust a translator such as SAFE FME which can break down the records into individual fields for each column.  This is how GELink has been working for many years and would require some significant updates, but its not impossible.  I'll create a work item to see about getting these updates into a future version of the GELink tool, or even better perhaps licensing the KML writer from SAFE, so this can be done via the Quick Translator provided with MapInfo Pro.  That would be a Product Management decision though.

Regards,
    -Bill

Bill Wemple
    Principal QA Engineer
    Pitney Bowes
    Troy, NY

• 8.  RE: GELink tool - attributes missing - no KML schema fields

Posted 10 days ago

OK great, thanks Bill, that's really useful to know.

Many thanks for getting back to me, all the best,

Jane

• 9.  RE: GELink tool - attributes missing - no KML schema fields

Posted 9 days ago
    To load the Description field into your tab files using Universal Translator, click on the Schema Attributes option in the Google KML Parameters dialog.

Now click on the small button with the three dots at the end of the Show Additional Attributes field.

In the Select Show Additional Attributes dialog, filter the list by entering "descr" in the filter field and then check the kml_description attribute.
    Hit OK to save the changes to the import. You should now get the KML_DESCRIPTION field added to the imported tab files.

The dialog is here shown in a Danish version but I think you get the point.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Pitney Bowes

• 10.  RE: GELink tool - attributes missing - no KML schema fields

Posted 9 days ago
    Thank you Peter - I had actually missed that option, and I can get the Description field now, so that is really useful to know.  That is OK if you only have one or two attributes, but I have 19 and I still don't have the option of creating separate attribute columns on export in GELink to KML, which means that when I use Universal Translator to translate the Google Maps exported KML back to TAB, all attributes are concatenated into the Description field.

However, if I use a KML file created by other means with all the attributes in separate fields, I can now see them in separate fields in a Universal Translator-exported TAB file by selecting the kml_data{}.name and kml_data{}.value attributes in the Translator, which is great.

But, as Bill said above, the issue now is with the GELink tool, because here isn't an option to split the columns into separate attribute fields.

Many thanks,
    Jane​

Jane Mason
    Biological Records Officer (GIS), Suffolk Biodiversity Information Service, UK